Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

Homecoming outfit need advice!

Okay so this is our first ever homecoming. I still have some time but I want to start looking soon and I need some advice. I was planning on wearing a cute but casual dress until I though about how I'll be standing on the pier for a few hours, chasing after kids. Now I'm not so sure a dress is a good idea. I don't want to look too casual, wearing jeans and a t-shirt or something like that. I would like to look somewhat nice. It will be springtime so not too hot, not too cold. What would you suggest? What did you wear to homecomings? Thank you in advance.

ETA:
I just wanted to say thank you to everyone who replied! Now I won't feel bad if I can't think of anything other than jeans and a cute top lol. I had no idea jeans were so popular for homecomings. I might still go with the dress but we'll see what I can find first. SO said he doesn't care as long as I'm comfortable. His reply was "I'm only going to see you in it for about 20 minutes before we're in the door at the house and it's not staying on at that point". I really want the wow factor without going overboard and I got some great ideas from you wonderful ladies. Thanks again!!

by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 2:29 PM
Replies (11-18):
nataliesmom2012
by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 8:30 PM

That's what I was thinking too but then I wasn't sure about the kids. I've lost quite a bit of weight since he left and he's only ever seen me in a dress maybe 4 times, if that.

Quoting DvlDogWfe:

I wore a "business casual" dress the last deployment only because I lost a bunch of weight and my DH hadn't really seen me in a dress other than ball attire. I wanted to surprise him a little. :)

IAmE7
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 7:35 AM
I have a similar situation but remembered it'll be windy, plus I have to run after the kids and bring chairs and food for them...then there's the whole he's been away so long I'm thinking that I could get away with burlap.

But I'm going to wear some great fitting jeans, some comfy shoes to chase the kids but heels when he comes down. And this great off the shoulder sexy sweater.

Then home for a nap. Big family bed moment and ordering in for a full 24 hours!

I'm sure you'll look great either and every way.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
edelweiss23
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 7:42 AM
The first time I wore a dress and wedges.

2nd time I was pregnant and I wore a long maxi dress and flip flops.

3rd time. I met him at the airport and wore dark wash jeans, a Jackie cardigan from j crew and a pretty blouse from banana republic.

4th time. Charcoal dress pantS and a blouse and flats

5th time. Well that's 11 months away!!!
UCFknight
by Bronze Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 10:57 AM

with this being ya'lls first homecoming, have you heard of OpLove? We used them for our last deployment. They took pictures of the kids during deployment in a photo shoot, made a book and mailed it to my husband. Then the photographer also came to our homecoming and took professional pics for us as well, all free of charge. Not sure if your Ombudsman or FRG have talked about it with you. I did it back in 2010. It was really a blessing to participate in!

TippyD
by Gold Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 1:55 PM

you can always do a sundress with leggings on underneath:) 

mama0106
by Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 3:26 PM
Skinny jeans and a nice blouse with cute flats
apinksunrise
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 3:30 PM

i wore a cute, not too dressy, dress and flats. but most of the people there wore jeans or jean shorts.

armyslpbaby
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 9:05 AM
Ahh this post got me excited even though I'm still 7 months away :) have fun and take lots of homecoming pics!! :)
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN