Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Friends?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 21 Replies

When my husband first joined the Navy, his sponsors wife told me "by your second duty station, you wont have any close friends left". has this been true for anyone else? We just PCS'ed to Great lakes the beginning of the year and you would think I have moved to another country! My "friends" from my previous duty station and my home state and I barely speak. I guess that just come with the territory. Is there anyone else here in GL?

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 17, 2013 at 2:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
barrelracer1699
by Chel on Feb. 17, 2013 at 3:08 PM

My best friend from Leonard Wood moved to Georgia. Only thing that changed is that we didn't get to see each other. I just moved to Germany. Still in contact with her, and my other best friend from Leonard Wood, actually just found out she's moving back to WA. My best friend from college is still my bestie even though I am 1/2 a world away. She took one of my horses for me when we moved to Germany. Friendships are what you make them and put in to them. If you always rely on the other, they may not always want to always try.

Soniam301
by Sonia on Feb. 17, 2013 at 3:23 PM
4 moms liked this
I have many amazing friends, some of my best friends I've met on here. It takes awhile to sometimes find "the one" at your most current duty station, but once you do, you'll have them for life. :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mizuagi
by Brenda on Feb. 17, 2013 at 3:41 PM

My husband will be done with basic by October and I will move to where they send him. I'm excited about going somewhere new, but I have my fears of not being prepared for it, but the one thing that kind of scares me the most, is having to make new friends. My friends and I have been making these "plans" of them coming to visit me wherever they send us, but with work and stuff, I doubt it will ever happen, so it scares me even more. frown mini

barrelracer1699
by Chel on Feb. 17, 2013 at 4:36 PM

I was 7 hrs from home when we were at Leonard Wood. None of my friends made it. But they were still there for me via phone and when I went to vist back home. Just have to put yourself out there and do it. I never wanted to leave the midwest and got stuck in an entire new country!

Quoting Mizuagi:

My husband will be done with basic by October and I will move to where they send him. I'm excited about going somewhere new, but I have my fears of not being prepared for it, but the one thing that kind of scares me the most, is having to make new friends. My friends and I have been making these "plans" of them coming to visit me wherever they send us, but with work and stuff, I doubt it will ever happen, so it scares me even more. frown mini

UCFknight
by Bronze Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 6:25 PM

friends will always come and go in your life. I do have a handful of friends from every duty station that I keep in contact with (either daily or weekly).  But as for the rest of them, we have drifted apart. But you're forgetting the best part of moving, making new friends in the current place you are at. We have done four duty changes and I have been blessed to find amazing friendships at each. Some only lasted while I was there, but each was wonderful, and unique in their own way. Its also fun getting a duty station where you know some of your old friends will be heading to as well!

Its as if time has never passed since the last time I saw them (for me and 2 of my friends, its been 4 years and 19 months since we have seen each other). But we literally picked up just as we did back on the west coast. 

Good luck. 

usmclife58
by Nikki on Feb. 17, 2013 at 7:25 PM

Quoting Soniam301:

I have many amazing friends, some of my best friends I've met on here. It takes awhile to sometimes find "the one" at your most current duty station, but once you do, you'll have them for life. :)

cocoroo
by Coco on Feb. 17, 2013 at 7:58 PM
I don't keep in touch with many people from where we lived last. It doesn't really phase me. I make new friends. The people that are really important you find a way to stay in touch with.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
slrsgirl
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 8:46 PM

I'm from Kenosha so I am familiar with GL but we are now in Virginia Beach and have been for 3 tours now. You find ways to meet people (try meetups.com). I use facebook to keep in touch with old friends but I don't really talk to people much. It is hard but if you find a true friend you will find ways to keep in touch. You pretty much learn who your real friends are and keep in touch with those ones.

TippyD
by Gold Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 8:59 PM
1 mom liked this

I use to be stationed in great lakes and am still talking to several friends up there, and stay in touch with a few ladies from my husband's first duty station.. it is all a matter of how much effort YOU want to make for the friendships to last:)

Hulagirl55
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 1:06 AM

I'm still trying to figure out if its harder to make friends now that I'm in the military or if its just harder because I'm getting older (26). I blame it on both. When I look back at my first year at my first duty station I can say now that I was probably depressed. I was so used to having so many friends before I joined. Then I joined, got stuck living in the dorms because I was single and that was a horrible experience trying to find people "on my level" so to speak. Almost 4 years later, I'm about to PCS to my second duty station and I've got friends now that I will be really sad to leave. It definitely takes time getting to make friends in the military. It's sort of bitter sweet.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)