Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

Have you ever

Posted by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 6:31 PM
  • 10 Replies
Had a relative stranger ask to borrow money?

I just got off the phone with my mother. Apparently, this morning, the dil of a late friend called my mom and asked to borrow money just to "get them through a rough patch."

My mom was shocked, to say the least. And, turned her away.

I kind of feel bad for the lady, but her family has gone through a huge inheritance if they need to ask for help.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 6:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jas_momof2
by アニメの雌犬 on Feb. 26, 2013 at 6:43 PM

Can't say I have...  That was a bit rude.  A dil of a late friend?  wow...

JerseyAirGurl
by Ada on Feb. 26, 2013 at 6:47 PM

Never has happened to me... I have had my SIL ask DH for money for things. Its weird and rude because she doesn't even talk to us regularly. 

violinjewel
by Julia on Feb. 26, 2013 at 7:31 PM
Hasn't happened to me. That would be kind of weird.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
4ever-SJ
by Gold Member on Feb. 26, 2013 at 7:36 PM
We're afraid people are fishing to find out what my mom has. My dad died last year and I'm sure people think she is vulnerable.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mizuagi
by Brenda on Feb. 26, 2013 at 8:05 PM

It has happened to me and my family several times. We have old friends who we haven't spoken to in years call us out of the blue and ask for money. I think your mom did the right thing turning her down. There's been a couple times when DH and I have needed money and I still don't even ask my parents, who I speak with everyday, for money. I feel weird asking them, so I would feel REALLY weird and I think it would just be awkward to ask someone who I don't even speak to that often.

SierraLynn
by Just Me on Feb. 26, 2013 at 9:02 PM
My brother asks us for money about twice a year. Each time dh goes off on him telling him what a pos he is and so on. But in all reality my brother is a douchbag.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
usmclife58
by Nikki on Feb. 26, 2013 at 9:09 PM

WOW

mlogsdon
by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 9:26 PM
Wow. No. Various family members have borrowed money from us in the past, but we don't lend money out anymore, it always ends badly. We have never had any random people ask. That's extremely rude.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ccmvm
by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 10:59 PM
Never had a friend ask for money before, usually it's DHs distant relatives... Even some he's never met in person before.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Feb. 27, 2013 at 3:52 AM

My husband was out of work for a little while and I needed some stuff from the store with our two year old and some drugged out dude tried to steal our groceries and got kicked out of the store. I guess he waited outside for my husband and told him that he works at McDonalds in the next town over. WTF? I went into the store later that day and asked them and they confirmed and said he had done it a few times before. I was so mad that someone would do that in front of a young child. That is the closest that I've had something like that affect me/my family.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)