Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kids vs PCS

Posted by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 3:44 PM
  • 12 Replies

How have your kids dealt with changing posts? What have you done to help them ease into adjustment?

by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 3:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
barrelracer1699
by Chel on Feb. 27, 2013 at 4:34 PM

Let them help with the sorting or packing. I made it a cool thing. I would see a map and I would point out where we were, and where we were going. Show them how we would have to take a plane over that big ocean. Our first PCS was from Missouri to Germany, so huge. My kids have really adjusted well.

SierraLynn
by Just Me on Feb. 27, 2013 at 4:50 PM
My oldest is 3. So she just deals with it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ArmyChica
by Member on Feb. 27, 2013 at 5:02 PM
Speaking as someone who went through that and will be having to do the other side, the biggest thing that I found helpful was getting a chance to see the place before we moved. The first time I moved, I remember my parents taking me to thenew state before we moved there. I got to see all the places and see my new school, and it really helped me be moe comfortable with it. The other thing is being positive and telling your kids all the good things about moving to this new place. My parents were very positive each time, even when I'm sure they didn't want to move to that place. I adjusted really well every time, and even chose that life for myself!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Mrs.Brugger
by Tiara on Feb. 27, 2013 at 5:05 PM

That's awesome! I really like that idea for helping kids adjust (even parents, I'm sure!!)

Quoting ArmyChica:

Speaking as someone who went through that and will be having to do the other side, the biggest thing that I found helpful was getting a chance to see the place before we moved. The first time I moved, I remember my parents taking me to thenew state before we moved there. I got to see all the places and see my new school, and it really helped me be moe comfortable with it. The other thing is being positive and telling your kids all the good things about moving to this new place. My parents were very positive each time, even when I'm sure they didn't want to move to that place. I adjusted really well every time, and even chose that life for myself!

cocoroo
by Coco on Feb. 27, 2013 at 6:18 PM

My kids deal fine with moving. It isn't an issue for them.

Mrs.Brugger
by Tiara on Feb. 27, 2013 at 6:19 PM

everytime i see your s/n i have to say it aloud. It's fun to say. Does it mean anything? (if you don't mind me asking)

Quoting cocoroo:

cocoroo
by Coco on Feb. 27, 2013 at 6:20 PM
1 mom liked this

It is one of my children's nickname.

Quoting Mrs.Brugger:

everytime i see your s/n i have to say it aloud. It's fun to say. Does it mean anything? (if you don't mind me asking)

Quoting cocoroo:

soonergirl980
by Member on Feb. 27, 2013 at 6:30 PM

My kids just deal with it. They have grown up doing it so it's not abnormal for them.

Djinn83
by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 1:26 AM
1 mom liked this

My oldest doesn't deal well with change at all. So we try to pick a p,ace that is either close to family, or a totally new experience that he will be excited about. It seems small, but it really helps. Also, letting him *think* he gets to decide on the new house we rent really helps. We treat every move like an adventure. 

TonyaLea
by Silver Member on Feb. 28, 2013 at 5:08 PM

This is the first time we have moved with my DD.  She is 4 and we have been in our new place 2 weeks.  So far she is loving it, I am really relieved.  I think once grandma and grandpa leave though (they came down to help us settle in and do a little touristing)...she is really going to miss them.  We have been spoiled living so close up until now.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)