Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

Fort Benning Moms Click Here!

Posted by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 10:46 PM
  • 23 Replies

spinning globe

Make friends with moms of Fort Benning!

Post here to introduce yourself to the other moms of Fort Benning in this thread.

Below is base information and important phone numbers. 
Share your tips, experiences, and advice about this base.

Fort Benning, GA

Located seven miles south of Columbus, GA, Fort Benning is home to 3d Brigade, 3d Infantry Division; 36th Engineer Group; Army Infantry Training Brigade; Army Ranger School and Army Infantry School. 

Main phone numbers:  Commercial (706)545-2011 or DSN 835-2011

Mailing address:  U.S. Army Infantry Center, Fort Benning, GA 31905-5000

Population:  33,000 active duty; 6,824vivilians; 53,808 family members

Housing:  4,070 family units; wait varies from one to 18 months (706)545-2290

Temporary Lodging:  1,079 visitor and temporary lodging units (706)689-0067 campground (706)545-7238

Army Community Service:  (706)545-7517

Schools:  Six elementary schools and one middle school on post operated by DoDDs

Child Care:  Three centers for 442, two-month average wait; 23 approved homes (706)544-1623

Health care:  130-bed hospital.  Appointments (706)544-2041; benegits and Tricare (706)544-3461

Fort Benning has a very large commissary - (706)544-3965, a large exchange, a mall, and two shoppettes (706)687-0384.  Recreation at Fort Benning includes arts and crafts, bowling, library, auto hobby, recreation center, theater, golf, gym, tennis, swimming, outdoor activities, camping, fishing, and stables. 

by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 10:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
cat110
by on Mar. 24, 2013 at 5:55 PM
My son is at fort benning bootcamp he graduates may 3 2013 then stationef at new york then soon going to afganistain
SierraLynn
by on Mar. 24, 2013 at 6:40 PM
Just an FYI
194th Armored Training Brigade is now at Benning.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TiffLa
by on Apr. 7, 2013 at 8:56 PM
My ships out for Basic at Fort Benning on May 22nd. Can anyone tell me approximately when he should graduate from Basic? I need to know in advance so that my fiancé can schedule time off work and we can travel from KS to be with my son for graduation.
Thanks!
Laura
cocoroo
by Coco on Apr. 7, 2013 at 9:10 PM

Is there an area around Benning with a good high school?

SierraLynn
by on Apr. 7, 2013 at 9:34 PM

Phenix City, if not north Columbus. The high school right outside the main (hwy 185) gate, I'd never let my child go there. Hell no.

Quoting cocoroo:

Is there an area around Benning with a good high school?

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
SierraLynn
by on Apr. 7, 2013 at 9:36 PM

What MOS is he going for? There are several different brigades for TRADOC there andeach has different IET lengths.

Quoting TiffLa:

My ships out for Basic at Fort Benning on May 22nd. Can anyone tell me approximately when he should graduate from Basic? I need to know in advance so that my fiancé can schedule time off work and we can travel from KS to be with my son for graduation.
Thanks!
Laura

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
TiffLa
by on Apr. 7, 2013 at 10:29 PM
SierraLynn,
My son is in the ARNG and his MOS is Armored 19 Kilo M1A1 Abrams crew. He's a junior in high school right now but he turns 18 May 24th...2 days after he ships out for BCT. Anyway, he 's supposed to come back , do his senior high school year & then go to AIT school....that is, unless told otherwise of course. You mentioned TRADOC. Forgive me but what does that mean and where can I find information to learn all these acronyms and what they mean? I'm new to this military mom thing and I wish there was a sort of military moms for dummies kind of book or something to help me decipher all this stuff , lol.
Laur
TiffLa
by on Apr. 7, 2013 at 10:41 PM
SierraLynn,
My son is in the ARNG and his MOS is Armored 19 Kilo M1A1 Abrams crew. He's a junior in high school right now but he turns 18 May 24th...2 days after he ships out for BCT. Anyway, he 's supposed to come back , do his senior high school year & then go to AIT school....that is, unless told otherwise of course. You mentioned TRADOC. Forgive me but what does that mean and where can I find information to learn all these acronyms and what they mean? I'm new to this military mom thing and I wish there was a sort of military moms for dummies kind of book or something to help me decipher all this stuff , lol.
Laur
SusanD
by Silver Member on Apr. 7, 2013 at 11:12 PM

Quoting TiffLa:

SierraLynn,
Laur

OSUT for 19K is 15 weeks in length (thats basic and AIT). Thats of course after he leaves the reception battalion and goes to a basic training company.

However, if he is a "split training" option (which he may very well be because he is ARNG and still in high school) then he will just do basic during the summer and come back and do AIT at a later date. So for that he should just be there for about 10 weeks or so (with basic and AIT).

SierraLynn
by on Apr. 7, 2013 at 11:38 PM
Susan answered well for it.
TRADOC is basically training operations. Everything from basic and AIT to ranger and Airborne schools.
IET is "initial Entry Training" which is what your son will be doing.
Since he is split ops, he will be in actual training for 10 weeks for basic, and its never clear on how long reception time will be. Once he is there and in training, you will receive a packet with graduation information such as date and when to make travel arrangements by.
As for his AIT portion, I'm not sure exactly how long it will be for a tanker. But Susan very well may be right. Lol
He will go to 194th brigade. And each unit within that has facebook pages that can like and see pictures and updates they post about the soldiers. Look into that, especially when you know what unit he will be with. Either 1-81 Armor or 38-1 Armor most likely. Since he is a tanker.
Sorry about the barrage of information, we just left the unit. My husband spent 4 years training new soldiers in 194th. Lol

Quoting TiffLa:

SierraLynn,

Laur
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN