Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

On post or off?

Posted by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 9:07 AM
  • 41 Replies

If you've lived both, or even just what you think- Would you prefer to live on post or off?

by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 9:07 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
homeskoolmama
by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 9:14 AM

During our military time, we lived both on and off. In Germany I enjoyed on post best. In NC at Bragg we lived on post and it was good/bad. At Ft. Hood we lived off post but wish we had of been on. At the time the crime rate in town was terrible. We're talking early 80's.

TippyD
by Gold Member on Mar. 1, 2013 at 9:15 AM

Depends on the base. The base we are currently at, we bought a house. We lived in housing here and it was HORRIBLE!!!  There was mold IN the walls, the housing was managed very poorly, etc.. it was horrible.  Only reason we stayed in housing during his first tour was we were told we were only going ot be there for a year, ok, got it, he was put on a different boat, then he kept getting told his boat was going to be going into dry dock "in 6 months" lol.. never happened. we ended up living here for 4 years! lol..  his second duty station we just couldn't afford to live in town..  For us, the choice to live on or off base just depends on the base.

chrlstoncharmed
by Melissa on Mar. 1, 2013 at 9:15 AM
1 mom liked this
I don't understand how people get to live on post. We always ended up in a lease off post because the waiting list for on post was always so long.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
barrelracer1699
by Chel on Mar. 1, 2013 at 9:17 AM

Depends on what you like and are comfortable with. At Leonard Wood we lived off post. I wouldn't have had it any other way. I hung out with people on post and there was a lot of drama. Now I am in Germany and I was scared to go off base. To many differences with utilities compared to the states, and I was scared to get someone who didn't understand English. I am enjoying on base here in Germany. When we get back to the states we will most likely be off post again.

barrelracer1699
by Chel on Mar. 1, 2013 at 9:19 AM

We lucked out in Germany, in that the list had just exhausted when we got here! I was jumping up and down!

Quoting chrlstoncharmed:

I don't understand how people get to live on post. We always ended up in a lease off post because the waiting list for on post was always so long.

Mrs.Brugger
by Tiara on Mar. 1, 2013 at 9:24 AM

us to. When we got married the on-post waiting list was 2 years or something. I've only been to one base, Fort Bliss, and being that close to Juarez made me nervous and I think I would have felt safer to live on base, also. ..Until they made it an open base. 

Quoting chrlstoncharmed:

Mrs.Brugger
by Tiara on Mar. 1, 2013 at 9:26 AM

I would have been nervous to go off base, too! I'm horrible with new people and then to throw in a mix of language!? Yikes! Glad you're enjoying your time there, though!

Quoting barrelracer1699:

Depends on what you like and are comfortable with. At Leonard Wood we lived off post. I wouldn't have had it any other way. I hung out with people on post and there was a lot of drama. Now I am in Germany and I was scared to go off base. To many differences with utilities compared to the states, and I was scared to get someone who didn't understand English. I am enjoying on base here in Germany. When we get back to the states we will most likely be off post again.

JerseyAirGurl
by Ada on Mar. 1, 2013 at 9:27 AM
Always off... No desire to live on base.
JennyCaps
by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 9:35 AM
It all depends. In Hawaii we liked to live off base because we had no kids and pocketed a lot of BAH (we lucked out though with a cheap studio that was nice). Our next duty station there was no real base so we lived ou it town because we had to. Here in 29 Palms we had no desire to pay 300 bucks for just electric so we chose on base. And our next base we are picking on base because off is too far of a drive for dh to get to work. So like I said it all depends :)
Mrs.Greco
by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 9:36 AM
I like living on post, especially here at Bragg. I wouldn't want to live in Fayetteville and wouldn't want my hubby to have to drive farther than that. I like having him home for lunch an dinner.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)