Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

Overseas PCS

Posted by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 6:23 PM
  • 24 Replies

My husband just got orders to PCS to Germany. I have NO idea where to even start. He's currently in training due to a reclass, and I'm left at home, 22 weeks pregnant, with a 3 yeard autistic child, a 4 year old with ODD and have to get this done so we can be ready to PCS 3 weeks after he gets back.

I'm a little overwhelmed and have no idea where to start. All I know right now is that he is trying to get his dates pushed back, or leave pushed through so we can either leave before 32 weeks (I'm high risk and cannot pfy past 31 weeks under any circumstances) or after the baby is born.

Worst case scenario he's trying to get the kids and I moved bak in with my family until the baby comes. I just feel like my head is going to explode since I have no idea where to even begin to get ready for all of us to go, or for me and the kids to move home.

Does anyone have any ideas? This is our first PCS.

by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 6:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Aaec
by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 6:40 PM

http://www.armyfic.com

These ladies can help!! They are super sweet and know a lot.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
jas_momof2
by アニメの雌犬 on Mar. 1, 2013 at 6:50 PM

First, breathe!  Second, make a check list.  There are hundreds of military moving check lists out there.  Third - are you already registered with the exceptional family member program where you are currently?  They can also provide you with a lot of information that will help.  Maybe even go over some things you have not thought about.

I don't know what branch you are, but for the AF, we have an Airman and family readiness center that has a lot of useful resources when it comes to moving - from checklists, to videos of your new base so you can get a glimpse of what to expect.

Moving overseas seems more daunting than it really is.  Good luck!

jas_momof2
by アニメの雌犬 on Mar. 1, 2013 at 6:50 PM

We know a lot too...

Quoting Aaec:

http://www.armyfic.com

These ladies can help!! They are super sweet and know a lot.

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Mar. 1, 2013 at 6:53 PM

Welcome to the group mama!  I'm not sure to be honest.  I have a special needs child with several diagnoses including Autism, and my husband can't be stationed overseas...my son is category 5 EFMP.  Hugs and good luck!

kdjdod081013
by Member on Mar. 1, 2013 at 10:09 PM

Awesome! Thanks ladies. The kids are being registered with EFMP right now. We just got the final paperwork on our daughter's diagnoses and our son is still undergoing testing.

My husband is Army, and I'm just feeling overwhelmed with our first PCS coming within weeks of training, during pregnancy, and overseas.

DevilInPigtails
by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 10:24 PM

I have no imput.  I am just green with envy.  I wanna go over seas, Germany would be awesome, I have friends there!  But I would love Japan the cuture is so different.  Seriously anyway.  We have orders to SD, boooo

kdjdod081013
by Member on Mar. 1, 2013 at 10:26 PM

I'll trade LOL. I wanted to at least get one PCS down before we went overseas, but apparently that's not happening.

barrelracer1699
by Chel on Mar. 2, 2013 at 5:33 AM

I just did the PCS to Germany. Everyone told me not to freak. It really isn't that bad. The biggest thing is make sure you do a huge purge through the house. If I hadn't used it in 4 yrs in Missouri I wasn't hauling it to Germany. I think the biggest thing is housing over here. Wait list is long and you may have to live on the economy.

Start with your EFMP to see if this will even still be a possibility, or if you will not be able to be overseas. Either way purge the house. Why move stuff that you don't use? Check out ACS is you are near a base, and ask for info on Germany. They gave me a couple magazines and a big book about what to expect. Good luck!

kdjdod081013
by Member on Mar. 2, 2013 at 12:09 PM

We're at Fort Hood, this was hubby's first duty station, so Germany is his second. We honestly don't own much, when I moved down here I only brought what I could carry in the van and in a year and a half we've not had time to accumulate too much, I need to get rid of the excess toys and clothes though.

So far through EFMP it's looking like we'll be able to go. That is pending our son's final diagnoses though.

If you can get into housing what is housing like over there?

barrelracer1699
by Chel on Mar. 2, 2013 at 2:28 PM

Do you know where in Germany? There are a lot of stairwells. The condos/duplexes tend to be for larger families or the higher ranking. I moved from a HUGE old farm house in to a stairwell. I did send maybe 7 totes of stuff to my moms, but I thought my old place was full, I don't have this place near as full as I thought.

Quoting kdjdod081013:

We're at Fort Hood, this was hubby's first duty station, so Germany is his second. We honestly don't own much, when I moved down here I only brought what I could carry in the van and in a year and a half we've not had time to accumulate too much, I need to get rid of the excess toys and clothes though.

So far through EFMP it's looking like we'll be able to go. That is pending our son's final diagnoses though.

If you can get into housing what is housing like over there?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN