Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

OT- Growing pains?

Posted by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 2:00 AM
  • 13 Replies

My daughter (4 years old) has been waking up at night with awful growing pains in her legs. Last night she woke up 4 or 5 times... each time in hysterics and unable to calm down for 30-45 minutes and I just don't know how to make them stop or help her feel better :( I try rubbing her leg and that seems to help temporarily but then she seems to just wake up again 15-30 minutes later in pain and crying.

Not being able to make her feel better gives me terrible anxiety :( Not to mention I have awful insomnia and each time I almost fall asleep she wakes back up. That on top of not sleeping the past few nights cuase of DH leaving and I'm at my witts end.

Has anybody else dealt with this in their childen and have any good tips/advice on how to help her? A friend of mine suggested giving her ibuprofen before bed but I do not like to give her anything unless she absolutely needs it so I don't really want to do that if it is not needed.

Thanks for your help!

by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 2:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
adrianna1043
by Adrianna on Mar. 2, 2013 at 2:10 AM
My mom used to rub pain creme in my legs and wrap them with a towel.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
NorCalMom09
by Bronze Member on Mar. 2, 2013 at 2:19 AM

Oh I think I have some icy hot I don't know why I didn't think about using that. Thank you!!

Quoting adrianna1043:

barrelracer1699
by Chel on Mar. 2, 2013 at 5:23 AM

If she's not use to it might try something that doesn't burn as much as icy hot. My son complained about his legs hurting so much I finally took him to the dr for them. Got referred to rumatologist and orthopedic. Rumatologist said he is just extra bendy and to keep him from sitting in certain positions. Anyway back on topic. He was 6 and was complaining about leg pain at my moms. Decided to put Icy Hot on them and the burning sensation was too much for him he just screamed. My dad said my grandma used to do lots of leg rubs and warm baths for him! Hope she starts feeling them less!

Quoting NorCalMom09:

Oh I think I have some icy hot I don't know why I didn't think about using that. Thank you!!

Quoting adrianna1043:

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Mar. 2, 2013 at 7:34 AM

Hugs mama!  I'm sorry she's in pain during the night...I honestly don't know:)

harleychk32
by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 7:41 AM

my hubby used to have to be carried out of bed as a boy sometimes cause he got thems o bad.  hhis daughter who is now 18 used to get them so bad because at age 11/12 she was almost 6 ft tall, so she had a lot of problems with them as well.  My son who is 8 also goes thru terrible spurts.  u just feel so bad for them cause there's really not a whole lot to be done.  Hugs.......

TippyD
by Gold Member on Mar. 2, 2013 at 9:50 AM

try amber teething necklaces/bracelets:) 

jas_momof2
by アニメの雌犬 on Mar. 2, 2013 at 10:21 AM

A warm bath every night before bed might help...  It did my oldest...

Mrs.Brugger
by Tiara on Mar. 2, 2013 at 1:19 PM

I was going to say bath, too. My sister used to get them as a kid.

(And funny story, I told my dad my butt hurt once when I was like 14 and he told me it was growing pains. lol! I think I punched him in the arm for that one.)

homeskoolmama
by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 1:57 PM

It could be growing pains or a potassium deficiency. Give her a banana before bed and see if that helps. Warm bath before bed and rub her legs. I used to have this problem growing up.

asaffell
by Ashley on Mar. 2, 2013 at 2:44 PM

Check her mineral intake - calcium, magnesium, potassium. And warm baths before bed. I remember those pains all to well. :(

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)