Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

Do you drive a crossover?

Posted by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 10:35 AM
  • 33 Replies
I need to buy a vehicle soon and I'm looking for opinions. I know I want a crossover and I'm leaning toward the Lexus RX but I don't want to rule anything out (except 4cyl) so if you drive a crossover, please tell me what you like and don't like. I'm worried about blindspots and handling. Also, what features could you not live without?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 10:35 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
violinjewel
by Julia on Mar. 2, 2013 at 10:40 AM
Bump.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SusanD
by Silver Member on Mar. 2, 2013 at 10:44 AM
I currently drive a Mitsubishi outlander. I like it a lot. I've had it for 5 years and its been great. However I am soon getting rid of it for either a Subaru B9 Tribeca or a new Nissan Pathfinder, just for something larger and all wheel drive.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
usmclife58
by Nikki on Mar. 2, 2013 at 10:46 AM
My friend has one and she loves it. I wanted a crossover (in a bad way), but D doesn't like them.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
usmclife58
by Nikki on Mar. 2, 2013 at 10:47 AM
***she has the Lexus crossover, in case thay was confusing.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
chrlstoncharmed
by Melissa on Mar. 2, 2013 at 10:49 AM
The Mitsubishi makes a lot of "the best" lists for crossovers. I want to look at one!

Quoting SusanD:

I currently drive a Mitsubishi outlander. I like it a lot. I've had it for 5 years and its been great. However I am soon getting rid of it for either a Subaru B9 Tribeca or a new Nissan Pathfinder, just for something larger and all wheel drive.
chrlstoncharmed
by Melissa on Mar. 2, 2013 at 10:53 AM
They aren't all that comfortable for big guys. I know the Lexus has narrow front seats due to the console and others don't have much head room for tall people (Honda Pilot!).

Quoting usmclife58:

My friend has one and she loves it. I wanted a crossover (in a bad way), but D doesn't like them.
cocoroo
by Coco on Mar. 2, 2013 at 10:57 AM

I used to have a Pacifica. The blind spots were horrible, but it drove okay.  It was fully loaded, leather heated seat, TV, sunroof, power everything, I liked it for all the extras. The HS mileage sucked.

SusanD
by Silver Member on Mar. 2, 2013 at 10:58 AM
Its been a good vehicle. I get over 30mpg highway with a 6cyl engine which is pretty amazing. I have almost all of the features that I could ask for...the only things I wish that I had gotten looking back are remote start, DVD player, and all wheel drive. We will probably keep it another 6-8 months until we get moved, get settled in, and find the exact vehicle that I want. I've never had any mechanical issues with it, and its been a really good vehicle.

Quoting chrlstoncharmed:

The Mitsubishi makes a lot of "the best" lists for crossovers. I want to look at one!

Quoting SusanD:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mom2jessnky
by Dedi on Mar. 2, 2013 at 12:49 PM

I drive 2 actually. Nissan Rogue- my main car, LOVE it. And a Nissan Juke (DH's car). 

Likes on the Rogue:

It's very comfortable to drive
Has a nice zippy engine
Great Gas Mileage
Tons of Room
Back up Camera!!!!
Great ground clearance (I hate scraping the under side of a car, which is why I don't drive sedans anymore)
It's just a great car.

I can't really think of anything I don't like about it.

JUKE:

Turbo Charged Engine, the thing has some serious giddy up. I've dusted plenty of meatheads in sports car. HAHA - this is also a con, I'm seriously worried I'm going to get a speeding ticket in it! You do not realize how fast it's going.

It's roomy, considering it's a very small crossover.

Butt warmers, back up camera. Normally I hate sunroof's but I like it on the JUKE.

It's SO fun to drive. It's really unique, you're not going to lose it in a parking lot.

What I don't like: Not very much Cargo room, to be fair though we did take it to Disney for a week and were fine, so for a family of 4 if you pack appropriately it's okay. Getting 2 weeks of groceries in it though? NOT happening. (which is fine, the Rogue is the grocery getter)

The ride isn't as smooth as my Rogue. But since it's marketed as a sporty, I guess this is expected.  It's lower to the ground than I normally like, but not so low that I scrape- thankfully.

Although having written all of this, I think both are 4 bangers, but they're not wimpy little bitch 4 bangers, they have more power than many V6's I've owned/driven.  The Murano (despite the name which I hate) was pretty high on my list, the Rogue won out though (and saved me $15,000) but that might be worth a look.

barrelracer1699
by Chel on Mar. 2, 2013 at 1:25 PM

I don't have a crossover, although I did rent an HHR. Those things are horrible uncomfortable, and horrible blind spot. My friend has an Equinox and in the 2 years she has had it one of the heads needed replaced and now her AWD is out.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)