Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

WTH?

Posted by on Mar. 3, 2013 at 2:14 AM
  • 42 Replies

What the hell is this sequestration and how is it going to effect us??? I don't watch the news because when it comes to things like this all they talk about is whos fault it is. My question isn't about whose fault it is. I wish the news would tell me what the hell it all means because all I know is it is not good. 

by on Mar. 3, 2013 at 2:14 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
NorCalMom09
by Bronze Member on Mar. 3, 2013 at 3:31 AM
1 mom liked this

I just asked my friend who is in the army the same question (my DH is in basic so I haven't really got to talk to him much about it) He said they are extending the deployments of soldiers who are currently deployed, that tricare premiums will be effected, and promotions. (oh and civilians who work for the military) I asked him specifically if it will effect my husband getting orders and us PCSing after AIT and he said it will not.... that's just what he told me. He says the news is being dramatic and making it a bigger deal than it really is... I'm not sure that THAT part is true because he doesn't have a family to worry about so it might not seem like as big of a deal to him. I don't know... I've been trying to find out more info about it as well.... cause the news doesn't give many specifics, and me being new to the army, it's all confusing.

Armywife081011
by on Mar. 3, 2013 at 3:38 AM

I'm asking for the same reasons. Small world! My husband is in BCT as well and we have 2 babies and one on the way so the way these news channels are reporting it is really pissing me off. I want to know what it really means for those of us who are being effected. I hope your friend is right but so far in looking for answers I have found some pretty unsatisfying articles which I am not sure to trust either because its still pretty much the blame game. If you find anything thats "solid" let me know because I am not having any luck what so ever.

Quoting NorCalMom09:

I just asked my friend who is in the army the same question (my DH is in basic so I haven't really got to talk to him much about it) He said they are extending the deployments of soldiers who are currently deployed, that tricare premiums will be effected, and promotions. (oh and civilians who work for the military) I asked him specifically if it will effect my husband getting orders and us PCSing after AIT and he said it will not.... that's just what he told me. He says the news is being dramatic and making it a bigger deal than it really is... I'm not sure that THAT part is true because he doesn't have a family to worry about so it might not seem like as big of a deal to him. I don't know... I've been trying to find out more info about it as well.... cause the news doesn't give many specifics, and me being new to the army, it's all confusing.

barrelracer1699
by Chel on Mar. 3, 2013 at 3:43 AM
1 mom liked this

There is another post about this somewhere on this group. Not the first time this has happened even in the past couple years. They are starting with the civilians that work for the DoD will be the ones to get cut. Not that it will this time but the last two times, they cut a deal at the last min. I don't think we have to worry much, I think it is just a fight in congress to see who wins.

NorCalMom09
by Bronze Member on Mar. 3, 2013 at 3:46 AM

I will definitely! I'm sure there will be more answers to your post tomorrow as well as a lot of the ladies in this group probably understand what's going on better than us newbies :) haha

Where is your DH in basic at? Mine is at Fort Sill, only on day 5.

Quoting Armywife081011:

I'm asking for the same reasons. Small world! My husband is in BCT as well and we have 2 babies and one on the way so the way these news channels are reporting it is really pissing me off. I want to know what it really means for those of us who are being effected. I hope your friend is right but so far in looking for answers I have found some pretty unsatisfying articles which I am not sure to trust either because its still pretty much the blame game. If you find anything thats "solid" let me know because I am not having any luck what so ever.

Quoting NorCalMom09:

Armywife081011
by on Mar. 3, 2013 at 4:11 AM

Fort Leonard Wood just finished his first month. The first week seemed to be the hardest for me. A lot of ups and downs. How many kiddos do you have?

Quoting NorCalMom09:

I will definitely! I'm sure there will be more answers to your post tomorrow as well as a lot of the ladies in this group probably understand what's going on better than us newbies :) haha

Quoting Armywife081011:

Quoting NorCalMom09:

Armywife081011
by on Mar. 3, 2013 at 4:13 AM

Hope your right :) Thanks for the hope

Quoting barrelracer1699:

There is another post about this somewhere on this group. Not the first time this has happened even in the past couple years. They are starting with the civilians that work for the DoD will be the ones to get cut. Not that it will this time but the last two times, they cut a deal at the last min. I don't think we have to worry much, I think it is just a fight in congress to see who wins.

MsBlueBelle
by on Mar. 3, 2013 at 5:44 AM
3 moms liked this

It is not a good thing, that I can tell you.  I went through a RIF (reduction in force) back in the mid 1980's, terrible.  So many careers half done, 3/4 done, down the tubes.  Those that took the one time payout, squandered it then had a hard time finding a new job.  They got lost somehow.  I fear that again.  Mr. Obama said only those "who are active duty, retired, live in a Military town" would be effected.  Well, I am in two of those categories.  Mr. Obama cut a wide swath of the Nation with that 'only that group of people.' Very scary.

barrelracer1699
by Chel on Mar. 3, 2013 at 6:48 AM

Good ol Leonard Wood.

Quoting Armywife081011:

Fort Leonard Wood just finished his first month. The first week seemed to be the hardest for me. A lot of ups and downs. How many kiddos do you have?

Quoting NorCalMom09:

Quoting Armywife081011:

Quoting NorCalMom09:

TippyD
by Gold Member on Mar. 3, 2013 at 9:06 AM

I think it affecrs everyone differently.. you know, just depending on amount of civillian support, etc.. :(

4ever-SJ
by Gold Member on Mar. 3, 2013 at 9:36 AM
I believe a great deal of the fallout has yet to be determined.

I know the JSOC daily operation budget has already been cut from $5 to $3 million, though.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)