Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

ALASKA

Posted by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 9:49 AM
  • 44 Replies

hey ladies hubby is due to pcs to Ft. Richardson, Alaska in may. we are planning on leaving mid-april. any body been there or have advice or need to know info. this will be our 3rd duty station and im sooo excited (as soon as DD gets pasted efmp screenig)

by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 9:49 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SierraLynn
by Just Me on Mar. 6, 2013 at 10:00 AM
1 mom liked this
It gets cold. But not as cold as the interior.
If you're not an outdoorsy person, you'll hate it there. Alaska is all about the hiking, hunting, fishing etc.
It's good you're going in the spring/summer, so you're not being thrown into winter. It can be a shock.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cocoroo
by Coco on Mar. 6, 2013 at 10:04 AM
1 mom liked this
I have never been, but would love to. Good luck.
xtriciax
by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 10:11 AM

well i lived and meet hubby in south dakota so cold im kinda used to. and hunting and fishing is what this family loves lol. we are actually looking at buying a house already.

Quoting SierraLynn:

It gets cold. But not as cold as the interior.
If you're not an outdoorsy person, you'll hate it there. Alaska is all about the hiking, hunting, fishing etc.
It's good you're going in the spring/summer, so you're not being thrown into winter. It can be a shock.

sahmw2010
by Beth on Mar. 6, 2013 at 10:12 AM
Lol. My hubby is trying to convince me i want to go there. I say its too cold!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
xtriciax
by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 10:14 AM

well i miss the snow and such (im sure that i will regret saying that come dec. lol)  but i cant stand the heat anymore. i was raised in florida and then moved to South dakota for a yr and then hubby was stationed in WA. now we are in GA and i HATE the heat i just stay inside during summer. lol

Quoting sahmw2010:

AuntieMom101
by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 10:17 AM
1 mom liked this
Ex-hubby was stationed at Fort Rich back in '94. I personally was not impressed with the winter since I do not like the cold or the dark. However I loved loved the outdoor activities of summer :) tons of hiking and fishing. If you are outdoorsy at all then you will love it. Depression is common in the winter due to the extended dark hours. But in summer invest in lots of foil for your bedroom windows or nobody will get any sleep lol.
Italiancouture7
by Krystine on Mar. 6, 2013 at 10:18 AM
1 mom liked this

Hate the heat? OMG I love it! lol We are in Florida and our last duty station was Missouri I do not miss the cold or snow!! But I hear lots of good things about Alaska and that base in particular. I hear there is lots of fun things to do there AND if you become a resident of Alaska you get to take part in the Alaska Permanent Fund. I cant remember exactly what it is but you get it just for being a resident and my friend who has 3 kids and was there in '05 got as much as $7000 one year. She said its great because they were able to buy lots of fun recreational toys

Quoting xtriciax:

well i miss the snow and such (im sure that i will regret saying that come dec. lol)  but i cant stand the heat anymore. i was raised in florida and then moved to South dakota for a yr and then hubby was stationed in WA. now we are in GA and i HATE the heat i just stay inside during summer. lol

Quoting sahmw2010:

xtriciax
by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 10:21 AM

k good idea... lol gonna invest in some blackout shades and curtains 

Quoting AuntieMom101:

Ex-hubby was stationed at Fort Rich back in '94. I personally was not impressed with the winter since I do not like the cold or the dark. However I loved loved the outdoor activities of summer :) tons of hiking and fishing. If you are outdoorsy at all then you will love it. Depression is common in the winter due to the extended dark hours. But in summer invest in lots of foil for your bedroom windows or nobody will get any sleep lol.

xtriciax
by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 10:24 AM

yea we are gonna try to buy a house and we wwant to be residents for teh cheap hunting permits and tags lol

Quoting Italiancouture7:

Hate the heat? OMG I love it! lol We are in Florida and our last duty station was Missouri I do not miss the cold or snow!! But I hear lots of good things about Alaska and that base in particular. I hear there is lots of fun things to do there AND if you become a resident of Alaska you get to take part in the Alaska Permanent Fund. I cant remember exactly what it is but you get it just for being a resident and my friend who has 3 kids and was there in '05 got as much as $7000 one year. She said its great because they were able to buy lots of fun recreational toys

Quoting xtriciax:

Quoting sahmw2010:

CortezDeCrock
by Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 10:36 AM
We are at fort wainwright in fairbanks, ak in the interior and it is ridiculously cold here like -30 average. We would love to swap and be down in anchorage where Richardson is. It really does not get that cold down there in comparison. Just the usual cold like 15 - 30 degrees. It usually snows daily though in the winter. It is soooo beautiful because it is right in the coast. The scenery is awesome, we travel down there (6 hours) every now and then to spend the weekend and to shop! There is great shopping in anchorage. In fairbanks we have Walmart, Fred Meyers, and Old Navy... Ughhh. Anchorage has all of the amenities of a nice sized city down in the lower 48. You will love it. If you don't just drive up to fairbanks to visit me and I'm sure you will be running back to Anchorage.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)