Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I think Ds is finally realizing Dh is gone...

Posted by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 12:23 PM
  • 9 Replies

So Dh left on an unnaccompanied tour a little over a month ago, and I think our DS (3) is finally realizing daddy is gone...and he is being SO bad...and Im not sure what to do with him. He's just being mean and destructive and just a pain really. I have been taking the kids individually out to do 'mommy & me' things but with him, its not seeming to work...any ideas? This is our first deployment, so Im not really sure what to do :/

by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 12:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
jas_momof2
by アニメの雌犬 on Mar. 6, 2013 at 12:30 PM

Be consistent in your punishments - maybe give him a bit more one on one time...  Make a collage of "daddy" pictures.  Tell "daddy" good morning and good night.  It helped with mine...

missamanda86
by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 12:31 PM

Thats a great idea. Our DD (5) realized right away, and has got her acting out, out of the way...but this guy...I dont even know. Poor kid is his daddy's boy. And with the time difference, we're lucky to get to skype on the weekends...and I know the kids live for that. 10.5 more months to go gahh

Quoting jas_momof2:

Be consistent in your punishments - maybe give him a bit more one on one time...  Make a collage of "daddy" pictures.  Tell "daddy" good morning and good night.  It helped with mine...

Mrs.Brugger
by Tiara on Mar. 6, 2013 at 1:24 PM

Awh I'm sorry he's having a hard time with it! I hope you get some good ideas and advice. I'm not very helpful.. my son acts out for a million reasons and I'm still trying to figure out what to do!

missamanda86
by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 1:34 PM

Aw good luck :(...my girlfriend and I, both our husbands are in the same unit over there, and we both have 3 year olds that are acting out so bad....and then when they get together its like double trouble ugh lol

Quoting Mrs.Brugger:

Awh I'm sorry he's having a hard time with it! I hope you get some good ideas and advice. I'm not very helpful.. my son acts out for a million reasons and I'm still trying to figure out what to do!

TonyaLea
by Silver Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 4:15 PM
We did the same thing when my DD was 2 & 3 and it really helped. Plus skyping, if that is am option.

Quoting jas_momof2:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
TonyaLea
by Silver Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 4:16 PM
Oops. I should read replies before I comment, lol.

Quoting missamanda86:

Thats a great idea. Our DD (5) realized right away, and has got her acting out, out of the way...but this guy...I dont even know. Poor kid is his daddy's boy. And with the time difference, we're lucky to get to skype on the weekends...and I know the kids live for that. 10.5 more months to go gahh

Quoting jas_momof2:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
LHummel
by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 5:17 PM
1 mom liked this

We have a 22 month old and DH is on rotating 12 hour shifts. When he's on mids she acts up very badly. I have started making it a habit to say goodnight to daddy's and her big sissy's (who lives with her mom) pictures at night before bed. It has seemed to help. I do super nanny time out with my DD its been very affective with bad behavior. Also sometimes my frustration and stress rubs off on her so if I know I'm not staying calm enough, I tell her mommy is taking a time out. Put myself in the bathroom or something with the door closed to calm down then address the behavior. 

I read someone else who posted on cafemom that her childs teachers had told her to try and not use the words stop, no, don't, and try to use a nice voice and tell them wht they should be doing. So with running- please walk, with hitting- please keep your hands to your self. I am trying it with my DD sometimes it works sometimes not since you have to basically reporgram the way you talk. Although with hitting she always gets a time out no exceptions. I usually do say don't hit as well. 

Also I know on the bases I've been on they have 'give parents a break' free child care for deployment familes for your sanity. That might be something to look into. Hopefully you will find something that works. Good luck. 

SierraLynn
by Just Me on Mar. 6, 2013 at 5:47 PM
My dh has been gone about 3 weeks and our 3 hear old has been a royal pain the past few days. It's hard for me to give her a lot of one on one time because of my 6 month old. I try, but it doesn't always work out. She has attitude, talks back and I can't get her to listen to me to save my life.
It's a process. But you have some great suggestions from pp's.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
NorCalMom09
by Bronze Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 3:44 AM

I love the collage idea. I want to do that for my daughter!

Quoting jas_momof2:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)