Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

VA Loan

Posted by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 2:50 PM
  • 17 Replies

I've heard that it can make the whole buying process longer, true? Any random experience with the process that you might want to throw out is great too :P

by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 2:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
gunsgirl
by Silver Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 4:47 PM
1 mom liked this

yes it can, depending on the VA inspections that are required before closing. it can push closings out an extra 14-30 days longer than the conventional loan of 30-45 days.

we bought new and closed in 33 days. my friends are buying and they have had thier closing extended 2 times for a total of 3 weeks they will find out tomorrow if it has been extended again. they are almost at 60 days.

cocoroo
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 4:55 PM
1 mom liked this
We used the VA to buy new and from the start of the process to closing, it took 7 weeks. It would have been quicker, but we had to wait for the house to be 90% complete before the VA inspection could be done.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
4ever-SJ
by Gold Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 4:59 PM
1 mom liked this
Our house was being built during the process, so it didn't add any additional time for us.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Mar. 9, 2013 at 5:08 PM
1 mom liked this

We have actually just bought our 3rd home, and we used VA for the first time.  We had no problems with VA at all...just the seller:)  Our closing was only extended 2 days from original date and that was not due to VA but due to the seller.  Our first 2 homes we purchased we didn't use VA, but used other types of loans and never really had any problems to be honest.  Good luck!

SlapItHigh
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 7:40 PM
1 mom liked this
We've bought 3 houses using VA loan all 3 times and never had any delays.
momtimesx4
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 8:52 PM
1 mom liked this

Bought a house last year.  A bit more paperwork but we ended up going conventional for a better rate.

Pugsmuggler
by on Mar. 10, 2013 at 10:46 AM
Thanks for the advice so far! I appreciate it :)
violinjewel
by Julia on Mar. 10, 2013 at 10:55 AM
Our's took a little longer, but it was because it was a short sale.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mom2ljh
by on Mar. 10, 2013 at 10:56 AM
Yes true. They also appraise low and the closing costs are higher. But it's the only way we were able to buy.
Mrs.Brugger
by on Mar. 10, 2013 at 10:58 AM

interesting. Glad I popped into here, I've never bought a house so I'm not much help, but when DH gets back hopefully we can start the process and I didn't know it could take longer! 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)