Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

Were YOU an 'army brat?'

Posted by on Mar. 16, 2013 at 11:40 PM
  • 38 Replies

Were either of your parents in the military (not necessarily the Army)? Did you grow up in a similar lifestyle to yours now? 

Did you 'marry your father?' (someone who reminds you of your dad?)

by on Mar. 16, 2013 at 11:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mrs.Brugger
by Tiara on Mar. 16, 2013 at 11:43 PM
My dad was active duty up until my mom was pregnant with me. He got out and moved us all back to Rochester NY (from Hawaii! What were they thinking!? lol). He's in the guard now and while he has gone on a few tours and a lot of work trips, I was never moved around.
Mrs.Brugger
by Tiara on Mar. 16, 2013 at 11:46 PM
1 mom liked this

And in some ways, I do feel like I married my father. My dad is an amazing man and I'm very lucky. I wish we had the close relationship that we have now when I was younger. It wasn't until he came back from Afgh and my son was born that we REALLY saw eye to eye. We both had changed a lot. But my husband and father are both serving, generous, have the dirty sense of humor, and (flips hair back) treat me like a princess. lol. You can bet when my daughter grows up and gets boyfriends, I'll be comparing them to my dad and husband!

cocoroo
by Coco on Mar. 16, 2013 at 11:51 PM

My dad was in the AF for a few years but it was long before me.  

ccmvm
by on Mar. 16, 2013 at 11:51 PM

air force brat here. this lifestyle is the only one i know, born, raised, and married into it. I've lived in "off-base housing" for only about 4 years of my life, the rest were spent behind guarded fences. I've lived most my life overseas up until leaving home with DH and we've been stateside ever since

DH is nothing like my Dad, really, other than both being AD Air Force. i guess they are both into computers and both catholic lol other than that they are different.

TippyD
by Gold Member on Mar. 16, 2013 at 11:52 PM

yes I am an army brat and my husband isnt really like my step dad*army* or my bio dad..

armyvet06
by Member on Mar. 16, 2013 at 11:54 PM
My parents were both active navy for awhile. My mom got out when she was pregnant with me and my twin. Then my dad got out shortly after my baby sister was born. Then when we were just a little bit older, my mom went active army and got out after 18 years. And in 2006 my dad joined the naval reserves and he is still in.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
SierraLynn
by Just Me on Mar. 17, 2013 at 12:00 AM
My dad was Air Force long before my brother was born. But he has been an AF Civilian ever since. So, kind of. But we never moved around. Only once from California to New Mexico. He works in the research labs.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mandaschelle
by Bronze Member on Mar. 17, 2013 at 12:03 AM

My Dad was AD Air Force for 20+ years but got out when I was very young (6y/o) . He then went on to civil service for another 20+ years. So while I thought I knew what I was getting into when marrying DH i had

NO CLUE!!!

I can't tell you how much more I respect my mom now that i am a military spouse and mom. She gave us the most normal childhood possible and made it seem effortless.

As for marrying my Dad yes I did. It amazes scares and grosses me out each little bit  more I see of my Dad in my DH.

mlogsdon
by on Mar. 17, 2013 at 12:03 AM
Not even close. Neither parent was military of any sort. And my husband is nothing like my father. Only similarity is that they are both very hard workers.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
4ever-SJ
by Gold Member on Mar. 17, 2013 at 12:04 AM
Lol. Definitely not a military brat.

My father and my husband shared many traits: both are strong, intelligent men with a traditional core of values. They also shared a deep love of history and biscuits and gravy.

But, I did not marry my father.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)