Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

The military and war.

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 14 Replies
Just want to say hello to all of the military moms and thank your son or daughter for serving. I am here because our family is hurting. My son 22 signed up for 6 yrs as a surgical tech. He went to Afghanistan, came home a different person. Well sad to say he was diagnosed with PTSD and had anger had a minor infraction as they said and was discharged after 3yrs and 7 months. Honor. Under general conditions.They denied him unemployment and I can only hope he will get through this. I am sick over this but try so hard to be here for him . I feel with the draw down that they just threw him away.
Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 21, 2013 at 8:03 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SusanD
by Silver Member on Mar. 21, 2013 at 8:18 AM
5 moms liked this

While I understand your frustration, your son wasn't "thrown away" as you put it. He wasn't meeting standards, as painful as it is to hear. And yes, a "minor infraction" equals not meeting standards. In today's military with the reduced number of troops you have to not only meet, but exceed standards. If you are not at a minimum meeting standards, then you are risking your job. I would suggest the he appeal the unemployment decision. If he does in fact have a diagnosis of PTSD, then he needs to go through the VA to see about compensation for that through them as well. 

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Mar. 21, 2013 at 8:28 AM

Welcome to the group mama!  I'm sorry to hear that your son is having a hard time.  Hugs!

SlapItHigh
by Platinum Member on Mar. 21, 2013 at 8:55 AM
I'm so sorry that your son is going through this. I don't think out military treats their PTSD soldiers right :(.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Yedrol
by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 10:08 AM
1 mom liked this

Surgical tech.  That's a job that involves experiencing first hand the devastation of war, a particularly difficult job for a 22 year old.  I am so sorry to hear that he has not received the support he needs to heal from this experience.  My heart goes out to all of you.  Any of us, at any time, could be in your position.  I too have seen the military discard brave, dedicated soldiers suffering from PTSD and think it shameful.  My son has just joined a striker brigade and as fighting season heats up in Afghanistan, I pray that he will make it through his deployment in one piece, that the moral hazzard of war does not leave  him in the same psychological state that your son must be experiencing after serving as surgical tech.  I am sending all of you love and healing.

chrlstoncharmed
by Melissa on Mar. 21, 2013 at 10:52 AM
4 moms liked this

I'm sorry he's going through a rough time. Do you think he would've had many of the same experiences working as a surgical tech on the civilian side? They have to respond to just as many horrors.

4ever-SJ
by Gold Member on Mar. 21, 2013 at 11:00 AM
3 moms liked this

This. And, ptsd isn't the all-encompassing answer. I am not the same person I was at 22. Some change is part of life.

Quoting chrlstoncharmed:

I'm sorry he's going through a rough time. Do you think he would've had many of the same experiences working as a surgical tech on the civilian side? They have to respond to just as many horrors.

Elle.tea.22
by Bronze Member on Mar. 21, 2013 at 1:07 PM
Why was he denied unemployment? They always say no the 1st time...
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
adrianna1043
by Adrianna on Mar. 21, 2013 at 1:14 PM
Very, very true!

Quoting 4ever-SJ:

This. And, ptsd isn't the all-encompassing answer. I am not the same person I was at 22. Some change is part of life.

Quoting chrlstoncharmed:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
adoptivemomof1
by Mel on Mar. 21, 2013 at 5:56 PM

I am sorry, too, But this is a really good question/point....

Quoting chrlstoncharmed:

rekholm
by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 7:02 PM

I have a friend who came back with the same issues and depression(sucidal) on top of it.  It has been hard to watch her denied this and that and even lost her home.  However, she is finally getting back on her feet and making some advances.  I pushed her to get some help thru the VA, she finally did what I suggested and is on the mend.  Unfortunately I had to get in her face and tell her she needed to do this, or else.  I guess after 20 years in the military you get to the point of expecting to be given orders and then carry it out.  I am not proud of the fact that I ordered her to do it or else.  But, she did it and it seems to be working for her.  I am proud of her, we have been friends for almost 50 years now.  Your son was not discarded, but you may have to push (gently) to get him to do something.  But he has to want it.   Just my opinion.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN