Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Paying for utilities

Posted by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 3:18 PM
  • 23 Replies

I am curious if anyone on here lives in base housing that has converted to the utility pay system. Where part of your BAH is set aside to pay for utilities (110%). Our base is converting soon and I am definitely a bit concerned. We just moved on base after living off base for 9 months (we were on the wait list).

So right now we are in "conserving mode" I guess you would call it. We already have conserving habits down as far as utilities go. We live in Florida and I would keep my thermostat on 78 in the summer.That worked out great because our off base rental was newer and very energy efficient and I also used all of the ceiling fans to help.

However, the house we live in on base is old and certainly not energy efficient. I have to keep the thermostat on at least 73 to even make a slight difference when its very hot out and were not even into summer yet. So I'm just a bit worried were going to end up paying out of pocket because we live in an older home. I know the new houses on this base are built energy efficient and don't have that problem so I don't know how that will effect us in older homes. 

Anyone have problems with this new utility system that live in older base housing??

BabyFetus Ticker

IAmPregnant Ticker
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 3:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
carlyshort
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 3:27 PM
Idk. Our base is in the averaging period now and I know people on base who are using utilities out the yang because when they have to pay their usage will be lower ( when they'll use it right) and get a refund. Sounds wrong and when they brag about it I want to punch them in their teeth.lol

Any way good luck. We live off base and utility prices are ridiculous.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
xtriciax
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 3:29 PM

are post started doing mock bills. we are not very energy efficient right now since we never had to pay. they only charge you(well here anyways) for over a certain amount. so my mock bills had been like 15-25 dollars so far. we are pcsing in a few weeks so wont be here when ppl actually has to pay. 

Italiancouture7
by Krystine on Mar. 22, 2013 at 3:33 PM

Quoting carlyshort:

Idk. Our base is in the averaging period now and I know people on base who are using utilities out the yang because when they have to pay their usage will be lower ( when they'll use it right) and get a refund. Sounds wrong and when they brag about it I want to punch them in their teeth.lol

Any way good luck. We live off base and utility prices are ridiculous.

Ya I think thats a bit ridiculous lol but somehow it doesnt surprise me. Ya most utilities here off base are really bad but our rental was really great so it worked out well. My electric was only $60-75 in the non-summer months and at most $144 in the summer. Our home was 1800 sq ft so I thought that was pretty awesome!! But living on base here is another story when you get an old house.

We would have loved to stay off base but it was becoming too expensive with the 45 minute commute (that's how far out you have to live here to afford housing within your BAH).

We were both always at the base. DH was here for work and I was always here for activities and play dates. None of our friends lived off base and the gas was getting to be too expensive. I think the choice was right but I'm nervous about the utility switch. It happens in September.

Italiancouture7
by Krystine on Mar. 22, 2013 at 3:34 PM

Quoting xtriciax:

are post started doing mock bills. we are not very energy efficient right now since we never had to pay. they only charge you(well here anyways) for over a certain amount. so my mock bills had been like 15-25 dollars so far. we are pcsing in a few weeks so wont be here when ppl actually has to pay. 

Our mock bills will start at the end of the month. I'm anxious to see what it will be lol.. We also just moved on base just this week.

amberd689
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 4:24 PM

Here at Camp Pendleton we have been doing the mock bills and start live billing I believe next month. So far we have been below the  mininum. But I keep windows open during the day with the fans going. Its about 68 in here and I think it is perfect. That being said we are on the ocean and don't even have ac.  I unplug what's not being used in the kitchen besides fridge and stove. Turn off lights when not being used common sense stuff. 

sapphire80
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 4:27 PM

We just came from a place that had converted.  We never had to pay, and we were in an older home too.  Do you have ceiling fans? I know they helped us out a lot.  If not, get a fan that sits on the floor to help with the air circulation.  It will cost less having a fan running, than to have your A/C set so low.   

mom2jessnky
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 5:42 PM

Our base has been doing this for 3 yrs, I have yet to pay a bill.

sahmw2010
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 5:51 PM
Our post as long as u stayed between the allotment u were good if u went over u pay difference. Since it was old there was no fees for april-aug
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
fourlittlebees
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 5:58 PM

We are at Polk and have not have gone over yet.  I do try to be conservative with our energy usage when it comes to things like lights, laundry, dishes, etc.  We have always been right at baseline, or slightly under baseline, and never gone into the grace zone.  Also you should be compared to houses of similar size/age.  However, the house is very poorly insulated and still has single pane windows so it is hard to keep it heated and cooled.  In the summer, window a/c units are a MUST because it can be at least 20 degrees hotter upstairs.  Even in the colder months there is a huge difference in the temps but we can make due with blankets.  Fortunetly, during the months of April-October, utility usuages are waived for those of us who live in an older house built before Picerne took over.  Otherwise, we might be in trouble!

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Mar. 22, 2013 at 7:33 PM

Good luck mama!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)