Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

Can I do it?

Posted by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 6:21 PM
  • 10 Replies

I was planning on joining the Army. All I had to do was lose 12 lbs in the beginning in order to make weight and/or tape. However, I got pregnant in October and I had to put on hold.

Now that my son is 8 months old, I haven't lost my baby weight. I thought breastfeeding would help me lose the weight fast, but I guess I ate the wrong foods. Now, I've gone to diet of having a protein shake with frozen peaches and almond butter, replacing 2 meals (trust me, i feel full after having 8 oz). I need to lose 40 lbs! I'd like to exercise by taking him for walks in the afternoon, but it's either raining or snowing or too cold to take him out. (I live in NY). I can't afford to go to the gym since I'm unemployed.

My DH is Army Reserve and has a 3 year contract and he works full time in a warehouse in his civie job.

My question is can I join after having a baby? Also, where I originally had my paper work to enlist, will it still be there? I know I was told that I can re-enlist 6 months after the baby is born. I think I will re-enlist once he's a year old b/c I plan on weaning him off breastfeeding, but I'd like to pump a supply for my DH while I'm away at basic. Will they allow pumping at basic? Idk about AIT, but I have a feeling maybe.

Also, does anyone think I can lose the 40 lbs when he turns one?

by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 6:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MommySwiggles
by Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 6:26 PM
I highly doubt they will let you pump at boot camp. Idk about the rest. Good luck.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
SierraLynn
by Just Me on Mar. 22, 2013 at 6:53 PM
3 moms liked this
You will not be able to pump during basic and I'm pretty certain during AIT either. You're there to train and focus on the mission. And sending it would be an outrageous hassle for the drills and cadre.
Losing 40 lbs in 4 months doesn't sound very healthy either.
You can join now that your a mom, and it makes it easier that your married. But as a mother, and even fathers have to, take a step back and think about being away from your child. Not just for training but deployments, field problems and such. Will you be able to leave for significant periods of time?
You will likely have to start some paperwork over now that you have another dependent. Were you married when you started this process before. Did they tell you after starting the process to not get pregnant for this very reason? Because it was a waste of time and resources.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Mar. 22, 2013 at 7:27 PM

I agree with the comment above.  Hugs and good luck!

supermommie1
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 10:08 PM

if you had planned on joining, you should have taken the steps to Not get pregnant.

losing 40 pounds that fast is not safe, if you plan to keep breastfeeding!

good luck.

averagemama0609
by Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 11:14 PM

Whoa. You need to make sure what you're doing with the shakes is safe for breastfeeding. It doesn't sound like it honestly. There's a great breastfeeding group here on CM and the ladies there are super helpful, you should ask them about weight loss while breastfeeding.

I've also seen before that a lady had to completely wean and dry up before she was allowed to enlist, so that's something you need to ask the recruiter about.

PadysMomy
by on Mar. 23, 2013 at 8:09 AM

@ averagemama0609 The shakes are safe. I had them confirmed by a dr. I have only one for breakfast and/or lunch, depending what my day is like. I have a vanilla one w/ frozen peaches and a chocolate one w/ peanut butter or almond butter (my favorite choice). I use only skim free milk.

That's a good q to ask the recruiter.

PadysMomy
by on Mar. 23, 2013 at 8:14 AM

I plan on losing the weight as slow as possible. I was just about to fill out the paperwork that they e-mailed me. I had just taken the ASVAB and passed. Thanks for the advice. :-)

Quoting SierraLynn:

You will not be able to pump during basic and I'm pretty certain during AIT either. You're there to train and focus on the mission. And sending it would be an outrageous hassle for the drills and cadre.
Losing 40 lbs in 4 months doesn't sound very healthy either.
You can join now that your a mom, and it makes it easier that your married. But as a mother, and even fathers have to, take a step back and think about being away from your child. Not just for training but deployments, field problems and such. Will you be able to leave for significant periods of time?
You will likely have to start some paperwork over now that you have another dependent. Were you married when you started this process before. Did they tell you after starting the process to not get pregnant for this very reason? Because it was a waste of time and resources.

Tish_Hughes
by on Mar. 23, 2013 at 10:12 AM
2 moms liked this
Reenlist? You never enlisted to begin with and no you can't pump at basic or AIT. You're married, have your husband watch the kid while you run and stuff. Using the cold isn't an excuse. IF you ever enlist, you will be running in the snow, in the rain, in the heat and in the cold.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Mrs.Brugger
by Tiara on Mar. 23, 2013 at 11:17 PM

losing that weight that fast while you're still BFing is not good, nor is it good for your milk supply. As for the army, are you mentally prepared to be away from your baby not just for the trainings, but possibly deployments?

JerseyAirGurl
by Ada on Mar. 24, 2013 at 12:28 AM

They tell you can enlist post 6 months because you cannot take a PT test during that time (from what was explained to me). I doubt you will lose 40lbs in four months and be in shape enough for bootcamp. My son is 5 months and I lost all the baby weight (35lbs) but working on losing more... By the time my son is 1 I plan on being down another 30 to 60lbs. Starving yourself and living off of shakes only goes so far. I suggest you join the healthy weight loss group on CM... A lot of support and resources for weight loss there. Yea there is no breastfeeding while in bootcamp... That would be super inconvenient for the mission of training. Good luck.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)