Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

Got a diagnosis of depression based on the fact that I hadn't shaved my legs in awhile. Its been off and on snowing here and I don't own anything but pants. Also at 9 months pregnant with the 3rd baby in 4 years it is next to impossible to shave. She gets in my way. I didn't think I was depressed but they want me to take zoloft which won't happen till I am done breastfeeding. I am a bit paranoid. I just found it strange that they could diagnose someone based on their legs and that post partum scale needs updated. I thought this was a funny situation. 

by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 2:58 AM
Replies (11-18):
mlogsdon
by Mary on Apr. 1, 2013 at 5:02 PM
Then I should be on Zoloft alllll winter and every time DH is gone. I don't shave my legs unless they're going to be seen.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Apr. 1, 2013 at 6:53 PM

There has to be more to this story...

cocoroo
by Coco on Apr. 1, 2013 at 7:26 PM
There has to be more to it.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Armywife081011
by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 8:33 PM

I think she in particular gets paid extra for referring patients to this counselor and the pharm company that makes zoloft. I didn't even think I was depressed and I was in there so she could check the swelling in my feet and I said watch out haven't shaved in a while and she ran out of the room to get one of those postpartum scales. I answered honestly for that day/week . It hadn't been the best week but I think those scales are iffy because everyone has bad days. I don't think I am in denial I usually know when I am depressed. I am happy with things for the most part but have my downs as well. I think the diagnosis has brought on the power of suggestion and ever since it seems like things have been falling down hill. I know they will go back up again. I'll be really bitchy for awhile. I've been super irritable and emotional. My dad who was a nurse says that even though women don't have periods during pregnancy that we still have the mood swings during that time of month. Maybe thats it?  I am hoping that after my babyshower and the crib gets here the stress goes away. 

Quoting cocoroo:

There has to be more to it.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 2, 2013 at 9:49 AM
Believe it or not, doctors weigh your overall appearance when making a diagnosis. They look at your hair, teeth, nails, and yes your shaving habits. But not just 1 is singled out. There must be collective factors. Based on your responses to their questions is a huge factor. Also agreeing that you need treatment.
If you need treatment, great youre getting help, there's no shame. But the only one who truly knows are you and your Dr.
Good luck!
PinkButterfly66
by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 10:17 AM

I don't shave my legs at all in the winter and I'm not depressed. I just don't want to be bothered with it unless I'm going bare legged.  Where does the military keep getting these truly awful doctors?  

momkelly2
by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 10:25 AM
1 mom liked this

lol....   can't stop laughing..    not at you.. the dr.     OMG...   if you are depressed so am I  and half the women I know.     Okay first of all.    the origins of women shaving their legs was during WWII  when stocking were hard to come by and women used leg makeup to look like they were wearing stockings  even drawing the line up the back of their legs.    the makeup didn't lay well with hair so shaving began.

my mom was of that era and didn't wear makeup on her legs and therefore never shaved.     but as we know many women did  and their daughters followed suit.. and now it is thought to be normal.

well I have dermagraphism (sp)  and I break out in hives when I shave.. so you know how often I shave... lol    only when I have to!!!   so according to your dr  my mom was depressed her whole life.. and I have been depressed for most of the last 45 years of my life..   good luck with that...   

and there are many healthy ways to battle depression..so before going to any antidepressant,, I would try to find out what was causing the  depression....assuming you are as he said depressed.   Too many drs want to write scripts for  a "happy pill" rather than find out what iswrong... or in your case.. if any thing is  wrong at all..  3 babies in 4 years...   you are busy...  lol...  busy.. is not a desease we have to fight... lol.  

seriously..   he needs to reevaluate his methods.     and kudos to you for being smarter than he is!!!   

got to go..   still laughing!!!   but laughing while I work.. is all good.

Catherine 
There is no MD after my name..  
 I am just a mom with years of experience raising ADHD kids.... LOL

Armywife081011
by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 10:12 PM
1 mom liked this

I am glad someone else found this as funny as I did. I don't know what she would do if she worked in Europe. From what I hear a lot of women don't shave over there. I get stressed obviously but I think I should cope without meds. I have been drinking more water and that is actually helping with my mood. Yes just drinking more water I won't take any antidepressants while I am pregnant. I seriously have trouble taking tylenol and they say thats safe. When I am pregnant I only shave before appointments where I know Ill be half naked. My legs get really prickly when I shave a lot and I love winter because it means I can have it grow till its soft and then when I finally shave my legs they are super soft!

Quoting momkelly2:

lol....   can't stop laughing..    not at you.. the dr.     OMG...   if you are depressed so am I  and half the women I know.     Okay first of all.    the origins of women shaving their legs was during WWII  when stocking were hard to come by and women used leg makeup to look like they were wearing stockings  even drawing the line up the back of their legs.    the makeup didn't lay well with hair so shaving began.

my mom was of that era and didn't wear makeup on her legs and therefore never shaved.     but as we know many women did  and their daughters followed suit.. and now it is thought to be normal.

well I have dermagraphism (sp)  and I break out in hives when I shave.. so you know how often I shave... lol    only when I have to!!!   so according to your dr  my mom was depressed her whole life.. and I have been depressed for most of the last 45 years of my life..   good luck with that...   

and there are many healthy ways to battle depression..so before going to any antidepressant,, I would try to find out what was causing the  depression....assuming you are as he said depressed.   Too many drs want to write scripts for  a "happy pill" rather than find out what iswrong... or in your case.. if any thing is  wrong at all..  3 babies in 4 years...   you are busy...  lol...  busy.. is not a desease we have to fight... lol.  

seriously..   he needs to reevaluate his methods.     and kudos to you for being smarter than he is!!!   

got to go..   still laughing!!!   but laughing while I work.. is all good.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)