Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

Overseas Returnee List

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 16 Replies

DH and I have always wanted to go overseas but after being stuck at such a horrible base for so long we are afraid if we did try to go overseas we would just get stuck at another horrible base. After talking to a few people they said basically the Overseas Returnee List consists of the worst AFB's such a Minot, Malmstrom, Cannon, Kirtland, FE Warren, Etc. Some even said they were only given one option and it was Minot!! According to them thats the only way they can get people there because everyone hates it so bad. Is it really true the Overseas Retrunee list is only the worst bases?? Does your stateside dream sheet have any bearing on the choices your given or is it only the needs of the Air Force?

Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 3, 2013 at 9:18 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jas_momof2
by アニメの雌犬 on Apr. 3, 2013 at 9:29 AM

Not true at all...  It all depends on what's available at the time - just like any where else...  Your dream sheet is just that, a dream.  It's ALWAYS been the needs of the AF and while they do try to accomodate based off the dream sheet - their manning needs (just like the mission itself) is first.

sahmw2010
by Beth on Apr. 3, 2013 at 9:34 AM
U can give them ur dream sheet, but they send u where they need ur hubby. If ur lucky they may need a solfier of ur hubbys rank at one of the places u wanted, but dont hold ur breath
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Mrs.Brugger
by Tiara on Apr. 3, 2013 at 9:37 AM
They can try to get you where you want but in the end you'll go where they need you whether that's on your dream sheet or not
ccmvm
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 9:41 AM

I'm surprised Kirtland is on that list. Maybe since im at cannon kirtland is so nice!

People get sent everywhere, it's wherever they need you most.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Apr. 3, 2013 at 9:47 AM

I think the dream sheet doesnt seem to be such a long shot in our experience. We've been fortunate enough to have all 3 of our bases be from our dream sheet. Now the one we were at that sucked was actually on the sheet but it was an accident lol.. DH selected the wrong base from the drop down. So obviously that is OUR fault. But 3 for 3 on the dream sheet seems pretty good! I know a lot of people whose assignments were mostly from their dream sheet. Our first was #2 on the list and our second was #4 and our 3rd was #2 again.

SierraLynn
by Just Me on Apr. 3, 2013 at 9:47 AM
1 mom liked this
Kirtland is actually a really nice base. I grew up in Albuquerque. All the housing there has been remodeled and very nice.
Abq is a pretty nice city as well. It's has its bad parts just like any city, but mostly is alright.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JMmama
by Kara on Apr. 3, 2013 at 9:55 AM
Not true at all. Plus, it's all in your attitude. If you think you are at a crappy base, you will be.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 3, 2013 at 12:19 PM

What?  Edwards, AFB isn't there!  ;-) LOL

I wouldn't consider Kirtland bad. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Apr. 3, 2013 at 12:51 PM

Quoting SierraLynn:

Kirtland is actually a really nice base. I grew up in Albuquerque. All the housing there has been remodeled and very nice.
Abq is a pretty nice city as well. It's has its bad parts just like any city, but mostly is alright.

Ive never been there so I cant say obviously its only what Ive been told lol 

barrelracer1699
by Chel on Apr. 3, 2013 at 2:33 PM

Everywhere is what you make of it! If you think it sucks, then it is going to!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)