Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

I need military advice.

Posted by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 8:17 PM
  • 23 Replies
1 mom liked this

Hello ladies,

My name is Chasiti and I'm a single mom.  I'm thinking about joining the National Guard or Reserve, because of me wanting to provide a better life for my son.  However, I am unsure if they accept single parents.  I'm willing to give my mother temporary custody of my son and we already talked about that.  I want to join the Air Force branch if that helps any.

by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 8:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
cocoroo
by Coco on Apr. 4, 2013 at 8:24 PM

I'm no help.  Good luck.

Diamond2010
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 8:34 PM

Lol, thank you.

Quoting cocoroo:

I'm no help.  Good luck.

edelweiss23
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 8:36 PM
3 moms liked this
Go talk to a recruiter, take the asvab and go from there!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
JerseyAirGurl
by Ada on Apr. 4, 2013 at 8:43 PM
1 mom liked this
You should talk to a recruiter. Just a reminder that the one weekend a month and two weeks a year.. Isn't usually your only obligation and will have to plan childcare accordingly. I've been AF Guard for 6 years and I'm dual military... It can be a struggle at times to figure it out with our son but we do.
Diamond2010
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 9:12 PM

Ok thanks ladies and I am going to find out

Mrs.Brugger
by Tiara on Apr. 4, 2013 at 11:14 PM
1 mom liked this
I wish you luck in your decision!
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Apr. 5, 2013 at 6:20 AM

Good luck!

AStitt
by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 6:58 AM
Good luck!!
Rhodin
by Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 7:04 AM

They will, but you have to have whoever will be watching your kids sign a family care plan.  It's basically formalizing what you'll be doing already.  There's nothing about parenting styles on it, but plenty for contact info and names and ages of kids.  If you're not joining the Army, it might be called something else.

gunsgirl
by Silver Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 9:02 AM
3 moms liked this

you can join the reserves as a single parent- you will need a family care plan with more than 1 person who can care for your child.

this person will agree to care for your child while in BCT, tech school and if you get Active orders to go overseas.

remember that either way you go you run the risk of getting deployed, whether over seas or to an emegency in the state you reside. and will need to make sure your family car plan is usable at all times at short notice.

also understand that they ( reserves) will not make exceptions for you because your a single parent- if the unit deploys YOU deploy, if they respond to a disaster 300 miles from home- YOU respond to the same disaster 300 miles from home.

you can find a copy of the family care plan on line just google it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN