Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

Drill Instructor wife?

Posted by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 12:15 PM
  • 31 Replies

Are there any in this group?  

My husband is thinking about applying, and I'm just wondering if you like being the wife of a drill instrutor?  Are the hours crazy, like my husband says they would be?  Anything I should know, or expect?  He said they would have to interview me too?  

by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 12:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
DvlDogWfe
by Stella on Apr. 5, 2013 at 12:38 PM

Why would they interview you? You are not the one applying for the "job". He would submit his package and then he would need to be selected. He would then go to school, or "boot camp" all over again as my husband has said, for DIs'. Don't expect him home much at all considering they are with the recruits 24/7 during boot camp. My DH was considering putting his package in as well and was about too when he recieved orders to HI.

barrelracer1699
by Chel on Apr. 5, 2013 at 1:13 PM

I had two friends go DS. Neither wife had to interview. Yes they are gone crazy hours. Can be home more often depending on what cycle they are in.

sahmw2010
by Beth on Apr. 5, 2013 at 1:28 PM

during a rotation i never know when he is coming or going. he has cq/staff duty every 4 days. now his basic is both basic and AIT in one, so this may be worse than regualr basic. what do u mean interview you? i have NEVER been interviewed. if your the type of wife who wants to know his daily schedual and try and make plans for the weekend as a whole family, you will hate it. i just make plans and tell him this is what we will be doing, if you have it of awesome, if not, this is where we will be.

Quoting mommyofblueyes:

Are there any in this group?  

My husband is thinking about applying, and I'm just wondering if you like being the wife of a drill instrutor?  Are the hours crazy, like my husband says they would be?  Anything I should know, or expect?  He said they would have to interview me too?  

mommyofblueyes
by Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 1:42 PM

I have no idea what he meant by interviewing me, I thought it was weird, that's why I asked.  My husband never has the facts straight, lol.  Sounds like there are definitely pros and cons, but I told him that it's his career, so in the end it is his decision.  I will go where he goes!  He just mentioned to me, so I'm not sure how serious he is about it right now!  

mandaschelle
by Bronze Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 1:56 PM

If its anything Like SEER school instructor I wouldn't want DH doing it.

sahmw2010
by Beth on Apr. 5, 2013 at 1:59 PM

as my hubby says, it is a great career advancement and will help him get his 7 easier than doing anything else. now since i am not a soldier im just going on his word. and like any other duty station making the best of this place. it took the whole first rotation to get used to his new schewdual, now im just like whatever

Quoting mommyofblueyes:

I have no idea what he meant by interviewing me, I thought it was weird, that's why I asked.  My husband never has the facts straight, lol.  Sounds like there are definitely pros and cons, but I told him that it's his career, so in the end it is his decision.  I will go where he goes!  He just mentioned to me, so I'm not sure how serious he is about it right now!  

mommyofblueyes
by Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 2:08 PM

Call me dumb, but what's his 7?  Like rank?  My husband is AF, so I know things are a little different.  He just got back from NCO Academy, so he must have talked to someone there about being a drill sergeant.  We are stationed at Cannon AFB in NM now, so I definitely know about making the best of a place, because it sucks here!  ;) 

Quoting sahmw2010:

as my hubby says, it is a great career advancement and will help him get his 7 easier than doing anything else. now since i am not a soldier im just going on his word. and like any other duty station making the best of this place. it took the whole first rotation to get used to his new schewdual, now im just like whatever

Quoting mommyofblueyes:

cocoroo
by Coco on Apr. 5, 2013 at 3:21 PM
His E7. Is that SFC in the AF also?

Quoting mommyofblueyes:

Call me dumb, but what's his 7?  Like rank?  My husband is AF, so I know things are a little different.  He just got back from NCO Academy, so he must have talked to someone there about being a drill sergeant.  We are stationed at Cannon AFB in NM now, so I definitely know about making the best of a place, because it sucks here!  ;) 

Quoting sahmw2010:

Quoting mommyofblueyes:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
sahmw2010
by Beth on Apr. 5, 2013 at 3:26 PM

im not sure what it is in air force, but he is an e6 right now which is a staff sgt, and he is hoping this will help him get his promotion to e7 to be a sgt first class

Quoting mommyofblueyes:

Quoting sahmw2010:

Quoting mommyofblueyes:

mommyofblueyes
by Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 5:03 PM

Oh, okay!  My husband is e-6 also, but in AF that's a TSgt.  E-7 is MSgt.  My sister is an Army wife, I guess I could have just asked her!  ;) 

Quoting sahmw2010:

im not sure what it is in air force, but he is an e6 right now which is a staff sgt, and he is hoping this will help him get his promotion to e7 to be a sgt first class

Quoting mommyofblueyes:

Quoting sahmw2010:

Quoting mommyofblueyes:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN