Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tricare standard and delivery

Posted by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 8:56 PM
  • 9 Replies
How much total out of pocket did you pay to have a baby on standard? If hypothetical me stayed on prime but went into labor away from my area, say in another state, would I still be covered?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 8:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
usmclife58
by Nikki on Apr. 9, 2013 at 9:29 PM

Technically, you are not supposed to travel but so far out of your area after a certain time (32 weeks? 35 weeks?). After that, Tricare *can* deny you. However, I have never heard of that actually happening. 

SierraLynn
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 9:47 PM

This.

And for my entire pregnancy including prenatal care, tests, monthly visits to a Maternal Fetal Medicine clinic to monitor baby's growth and delivery I paid $35. It basically was for the food I was provided while in the hospital.

Quoting usmclife58:

Technically, you are not supposed to travel but so far out of your area after a certain time (32 weeks? 35 weeks?). After that, Tricare *can* deny you. However, I have never heard of that actually happening. 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
asaffell
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 10:00 PM

I had no bills from the hospital when we had a baby on standard. Just appointment copays, but this was like...5 years ago.

SlapItHigh
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 10:16 PM

Quoting usmclife58:

^yeah, that. 

TippyD
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 11:35 PM

those I know that have delivered on standard were a couple hundred MAX most were under a hundred unless they chose to use a midwife and it wasnt covered.. as for delivering out of area, depends on the situation. we have a friend who's husband was deployed for the last 4 months of her pregnancy sooo she stayed with family the entire time and is delivering there instead*actually in labor right now:D*   I traveled at 32 weeks but was also traveling to visit family near an army base:) so we would have just gone there if something came up... kwim?  we also had friends that delivered a micro premie halfway across the country cause they were traveling and the insurance covered it the entire cost.

Aqua_Jen
by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 2:05 AM
Ok so standard still sounds very affordable. That's good! With DD, who is now 2, dh was deployed so when I was 37 weeks I went to stay with his family in a different state and i delivered there and it was covered with prime.
But I don't know if that's just because of the crummy medical care where dh was stationed or not.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Apr. 10, 2013 at 7:15 AM

No experience but these ladies have some good thoughts.  Good luck!

Aqua_Jen
by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 8:33 AM
I didn't know tricare had that rule. My midwife knew I was delivering out of the area and never mentioned it. Very good to know.

Quoting usmclife58:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JMmama
by Kara on Apr. 10, 2013 at 9:05 AM
I think if it is a plan that everyone is aware of it isn't such a big deal.

I'm on standard now and because I am delivering at an (in network) birth center, my out of pocket costs should be about $350 total. When I talked to the Tricare guy on the phone though if you are receiving regular OB care (hospital delivery, etc) your out of pocket costs are minimal. Basically it's like $17 and change for every day you are in the hospital.

Quoting Aqua_Jen:

I didn't know tricare had that rule. My midwife knew I was delivering out of the area and never mentioned it. Very good to know.

Quoting usmclife58:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)