Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kitsap ladies/ everett base

Posted by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 11:21 PM
  • 12 Replies

We are moving to Washington..our base is everett but we will be living in east bremerton. I'm looking to meet some new mom and also looking for preschools. I have looked and looked but there really isn't a whole lot of info on the preschools in the area. I'm comfortable driving to silverdale area for preschools. Any help ladies is greatly appreciated.

by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 11:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ReadWriteLuv
by Silver Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 11:22 PM

I'd re-think that if I were you, that is a looooooooooooooooooooooong commute, plus a ferry ride. You're looking at nearly two hours in traffic, one way. 

cocoroo
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 11:24 PM

Welcome. My dh is stationed at JBLM, so I'm way further south.

tab022308
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 11:27 PM

Thank you for the concern. We have lived in this area before the current duty station we are at and because of housing shortage in snohomish to get what we needed this was our best option we talked about it for a long time and debated pro and cons. it wasnt made lightly. We will be less than a mile from bremerton ferry and it only a 30 mile drive and we are also looking into carpool. Husband looks at the ferry ride as an hour nap each way. 

Quoting ReadWriteLuv:

I'd re-think that if I were you, that is a looooooooooooooooooooooong commute, plus a ferry ride. You're looking at nearly two hours in traffic, one way. 

ReadWriteLuv
by Silver Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 11:29 PM

Are you set on base housing? I'm not a base housing fan, we've never lived on base. I think you can do way better living off base from Everett northward. We're at Whidbey, there is no way I'd even commute to Everett from up here everyday, let alone try to do it from Bremerton.

Quoting tab022308:

Thank you for the concern. We have lived in this area before the current duty station we are at and because of housing shortage in snohomish to get what we needed this was our best option we talked about it for a long time and debated pro and cons. it wasnt made lightly. We will be less than a mile from bremerton ferry and it only a 30 mile drive and we are also looking into carpool. Husband looks at the ferry ride as an hour nap each way. 

Quoting ReadWriteLuv:

tab022308
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 11:36 PM

No we can't do base housing we have 3 dogs. We have been home searching for months and what we could afford in everett/marysville was at the top of the price range and was 70s or 50s style and needed work and everything else was a short sale. We are getting a brand new house in bremerton. The commute is long yes but we grew up in a town and lived 20 miles outside of it. So the commute is what we grew up with minus traffic. That will be a tester, hubby is excited he gets to sleep on the ferry. But being where we are at me and our daughter can walk to the ferry and go into downtown seattle for the day no problem/no parking pikes,aquarium,children,museum all within walking distance or bus ride. Also when the ship goes to docks his ship goes to the port in down town seattle so he can walk to work literally. 

Quoting ReadWriteLuv:

Are you set on base housing? I'm not a base housing fan, we've never lived on base. I think you can do way better living off base from Everett northward. We're at Whidbey, there is no way I'd even commute to Everett from up here everyday, let alone try to do it from Bremerton.

Quoting tab022308:

Quoting ReadWriteLuv:

ReadWriteLuv
by Silver Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 11:38 PM

Well, good luck with that. It's way longer than 30 minutes off of the ferry, especially in traffic. It can take 90-120 minutes to get from downtown Seattle to Everett between the hours of 6am and 9am.

Quoting tab022308:

No we can't do base housing we have 3 dogs. We have been home searching for months and what we could afford in everett/marysville was at the top of the price range and was 70s or 50s style and needed work and everything else was a short sale. We are getting a brand new house in bremerton. The commute is long yes but we grew up in a town and lived 20 miles outside of it. So the commute is what we grew up with minus traffic. That will be a tester, hubby is excited he gets to sleep on the ferry. But being where we are at me and our daughter can walk to the ferry and go into downtown seattle for the day no problem/no parking pikes,aquarium,children,museum all within walking distance or bus ride. Also when the ship goes to docks his ship goes to the port in down town seattle so he can walk to work literally. 

Quoting ReadWriteLuv:

Quoting tab022308:

Quoting ReadWriteLuv:

mlogsdon
by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 2:37 PM

Same. Good luck.

Quoting cocoroo:

Welcome. My dh is stationed at JBLM, so I'm way further south.

sokanamom
by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 9:46 PM

Why are you moving to Bremeron if you'll be working in Everett? You have to commute by Ferry to get here. Did I miss something in your post?

sokanamom
by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 9:49 PM

It is 25 min. To the Kingston ferry then a 25 min. Ride on the ferry and another 25 to 30 min. Drive to Everett. I know the drive we'll as I live in Lake Stevens and my husband had to have 2 hip replacements in Bremerton. I think you better look a little longer before settling on that idea.

sokanamom
by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 9:55 PM
1 mom liked this

Bremerton to Seattle and then to Everett? You are hallucinating if you think that is a 30 minute drive. My husband had to commute for 2 yrs, from Seattle and that drive is a lot longer than that. You obviously haven't seen traffic around her lately. Check Lake Stevens and Granite Falls if you think Everett and Marysville are pricey. I think you really need to reconsider. Your husband is going to be miserable with that commute and he'll spend more time away and in the car than he will with you and your child.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)