Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

How do you guys make real life friends?

Posted by on Apr. 12, 2013 at 7:08 PM
  • 23 Replies
So I just came home from working full time six months ago when my husband joined the navy. I have ended up staying with my mother and I don't really have friends that I can call up or go out with so I don't go insane.

How do you guys make friends when you move to a new location?

I've already tried joining play groups, hitting up play grounds, libraries and the like at consistent times. I get contact information from anyone whose children my son clicks with. I am active in my local church.

I just can't seem to find someone who, for lack of a better phrase, needs a friend.

How do you guys do it?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 12, 2013 at 7:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Pugsmuggler
by on Apr. 12, 2013 at 7:33 PM

I only have a handful of people I would call close friends, only a few at this duty station. I have lots of ladies I know who are up for doing stuff but I'm a hermit haha. I find friends through FB groups, playdates, hubby's work, stalking people on facebook (true story, she's awesome). I mostly do stuff with my son, he's my buddy.

cocoroo
by Coco on Apr. 12, 2013 at 7:44 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't have a lot of friends.  Most of my friends I met the first time I lived here through the local moms' club.  A lot of my friends I met at the gym or through my kids' schools.

jas_momof2
by アニメの雌犬 on Apr. 12, 2013 at 8:24 PM
1 mom liked this

The friends I have here I have made the last time we were stationed here - lol...  I met them through work.  I have a few others that I have met through boy scouts...

Tiaqueso
by on Apr. 12, 2013 at 8:48 PM

God I wish I could be a hermit, lol.  I feed off of social interaction, and I just can't seem to find it.  I just became a SAHM and my son is already four so I feel like I missed out on connecting with brand new moms and now I'm in a pickle.

Quoting Pugsmuggler:

I only have a handful of people I would call close friends, only a few at this duty station. I have lots of ladies I know who are up for doing stuff but I'm a hermit haha. I find friends through FB groups, playdates, hubby's work, stalking people on facebook (true story, she's awesome). I mostly do stuff with my son, he's my buddy.

JerseyAirGurl
by Ada on Apr. 12, 2013 at 11:50 PM
1 mom liked this

I've made friends with some spouses or female coworkers of my husband.... Made CM friends or FB friends. But honestly Im more independent now... Like I had a friend bail out on hot yoga... I was like I'm going solo. I just go with it. 

cocoroo
by Coco on Apr. 13, 2013 at 12:05 AM

Do you stalk me on FB?  I would feel so loved.

Quoting Pugsmuggler:

ccmvm
by on Apr. 13, 2013 at 12:51 AM
1 mom liked this

pretty much what everyone else said. I also invite people over for coffee in the morning, bake something, just sit around let the kids play and chat. I've met most of my really good friends over a cup of coffee.

Pugsmuggler
by on Apr. 13, 2013 at 12:12 PM
1 mom liked this
Of course. You're my idol, I have to stalk your every post, picture, and like. I'm working on the legal name change...

Quoting cocoroo:

Do you stalk me on FB?  I would feel so loved.

Quoting Pugsmuggler:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sahmw2010
by Beth on Apr. 13, 2013 at 12:21 PM
Here, i found my friends randomly. Just moved here an took kids to the veterans day parade. Ran into to other army wives and we just started talking. 1 i havent talked to since because my hubby is not an officer like hers, but the other is one of my closest. The other i met in the waiting room at the docs office. And the 3rd i met and a company dinner all because she preg and im getting rid of baby stuff. All of us hang out together an seperatly. Kinda like the circle on Army Wives. Lol
Tiaqueso
by on Apr. 13, 2013 at 12:27 PM
1 mom liked this
That's kind of what I'm hoping for when I finally get to join my husband. I'm in LA by myself right now, but that give me hope of community when I move :)

Quoting sahmw2010:

Here, i found my friends randomly. Just moved here an took kids to the veterans day parade. Ran into to other army wives and we just started talking. 1 i havent talked to since because my hubby is not an officer like hers, but the other is one of my closest. The other i met in the waiting room at the docs office. And the 3rd i met and a company dinner all because she preg and im getting rid of baby stuff. All of us hang out together an seperatly. Kinda like the circle on Army Wives. Lol

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN