Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

Why would the military pay for the kids you don't have custody of?

Posted by on Apr. 17, 2013 at 2:57 AM
  • 18 Replies

I was outside and the neighbor came out to chat. She claimed that for 5 yrs they have been paying child support out of their pockets for his son that they don't have custody of. Ummmm isn't that how child support works? Anyways she then proceeds to tell me that the military will pay some of the child support, and they didn't know this. So now they are waiting on this "refund" for payment of 5 years of paying child support. Sure there may be something to help you for a month or two, I am not sure. Anyone heard of the military paying your child support?

by on Apr. 17, 2013 at 2:57 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
vintage-misha
by on Apr. 17, 2013 at 6:21 AM

I call bullshit! lol. Although I think you can claim child support payments on Tax forms? Not sure. 

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Apr. 17, 2013 at 6:43 AM
1 mom liked this

Maybe I'm confused but shouldn't the parent pay the child support for THEIR child?  Why would the military be responsible for covering someone's child support?  That makes no sense to me.  Child support should come out of the parent's pocket to support THEIR child.  I think this person is either misinformed or full of it herself.

anchorgurl
by Silver Member on Apr. 17, 2013 at 6:54 AM

Couldn't have said it any better than this:

Quoting darbyakeep45:

Maybe I'm confused but shouldn't the parent pay the child support for THEIR child?  Why would the military be responsible for covering someone's child support?  That makes no sense to me.  Child support should come out of the parent's pocket to support THEIR child.  I think this person is either misinformed or full of it herself.

gunsgirl
by Silver Member on Apr. 17, 2013 at 6:56 AM

BS!! there is something called BAH ll - this i for single members living in barracks who has a large Child support payment.

if the member gets  married and gets BAH with dependants they cannot get another BAH -

she is confused or they are attempting to defraud the United states GOV.

gatorswife1401
by Member on Apr. 17, 2013 at 7:13 AM
My dh has child support being paid by his military pay. It is listed as a deduction. He has been doing that for years.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
4ever-SJ
by Gold Member on Apr. 17, 2013 at 7:58 AM
1 mom liked this
It's not "by" his military pay; it's through his paycheck.

Semantics, yes. But, it seems to make a world of difference.

Quoting gatorswife1401:

My dh has child support being paid by his military pay. It is listed as a deduction. He has been doing that for years.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gatorswife1401
by Member on Apr. 17, 2013 at 8:13 AM
1 mom liked this
Gotta love the wording of things. I always thought his military pay was his paycheck.

Quoting 4ever-SJ:

Quoting gatorswife1401:

4ever-SJ
by Gold Member on Apr. 17, 2013 at 8:22 AM
3 moms liked this
Sigh. You don't get what I'm trying to communicate.

"By" connotes that the military is making or responsible for the child support.

"Through" connotes the truth of the situation: the sm is responsible for the payment, which is derived from his pay.

Quoting gatorswife1401:

Gotta love the wording of things. I always thought his military pay was his paycheck.

Quoting 4ever-SJ:

Quoting gatorswife1401:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sahmw2010
by Beth on Apr. 17, 2013 at 8:29 AM
The only thing i know is before my hubby and i got married, he set up an allotment for me, it deducted part if his check and put it directly into my account so he didnt have to pull it out and find a way to send it while he was over seas. Maybe she thinks that allotment is "the military paying"?
STVUstudent
by on Apr. 17, 2013 at 8:31 AM
2 moms liked this

Ha!  Never saw that, in my 24 years of active duty, 10 as a division chief with a slew of young sailors with every conceivable money problem/situation.  The military will pay part of your child support?  News to me...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)