Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

YMCA bennies

Posted by on Apr. 17, 2013 at 8:17 AM
  • 12 Replies

Greetings Mommies of Deployed Spouses. I am woman hear me roar! ;o) Dont you feal like you are half lion half mama bear. I know I do, but it's good as a spouse of 16 years we have been through many deployments. we have two 20 year old sons and our babies Nick and Elizabeth. \

I am trying to find out about the discounted-free membership to the YMCA. Does anyone have any guidence?

I am a bit seasoned. Feel free to contact me if you have any questions or concers while your husband is deployed. I also have a legal background working for Jag as the Victim Witness Liasion so if you have legal question or question about your rights I may be able to assist or find answers. I know things are a bit different in the US but the the UCMJ is the same world wide.

Be well,

Joanie

by on Apr. 17, 2013 at 8:17 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jas_momof2
by アニメの雌犬 on Apr. 17, 2013 at 8:25 AM
2 moms liked this

Have you called the YMCA in your area?

JMmama
by Kara on Apr. 17, 2013 at 8:34 AM
It varies by area. Most YMCAs offer a military discount of some sort but it depends on where you live. The deployed spouse discount where you get a free Y membership is complicated to qualify for and is funded by militaryonesource. If you want to see if you qualify for that your best bet would be to contact them directly.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Apr. 17, 2013 at 8:40 AM

the YMCA has a website....

JennyCaps
by on Apr. 17, 2013 at 9:08 AM
The only time we got a free membership was when dh was stationed in an area with no base which meant no gym. The USMC paid for it but there were stipulations. Dh wasn't deployed though so I don't think this really answers your question so here's a bump.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mlogsdon
by Mary on Apr. 17, 2013 at 9:13 AM
I would just call your local YMCA and ask them directly.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
chrlstoncharmed
by Melissa on Apr. 17, 2013 at 9:26 AM

I've never heard of a free YMCA membership, but there were discounted memberships in Columbus GA and in Copperas Cove TX. Those are the only two I've been to.

cocoroo
by Coco on Apr. 17, 2013 at 10:02 AM

It depends on the Y.  Many of them no longer do the free memberships.

lwalker270
by Bronze Member on Apr. 17, 2013 at 4:15 PM

Ours doesn't offer free or discounted memberships for military members, but we live in a big military area.

joanielucille
by on Apr. 18, 2013 at 6:26 AM
Thank you I will do that. We have a greats Y and do not live anywhere close to a military base so fingers crossed,thanks for the pointer.
joanielucille
by on Apr. 18, 2013 at 6:33 AM

Thanks for the help everyone.  I'll call militaryonsorse today and figure it out. Nice to know I'm not alone in this great big civilian community LOL!  Thanks a bunch.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)