Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

Trumpets question

Posted by on Apr. 17, 2013 at 9:37 AM
  • 19 Replies
We recently PCSed and we are living on base. It has been awhile and I need a refresher on the rules for when the trumpets are playing. I know to stop the car or stop whatever I'm doing outside when they play retreat and the anthem, but what about other times. I think it is unlikely I will be driving around during reveille or taps but if I am do I stop then too? Here it seems they play the AF fight song at noon. Do I stop then? My default would be to do whatever everyone else around me is doing, but I would like to know what is actually expected.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 17, 2013 at 9:37 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
cocoroo
by Coco on Apr. 17, 2013 at 9:58 AM

I have no clue.  I'm rarely on pos.

jas_momof2
by アニメの雌犬 on Apr. 17, 2013 at 9:59 AM

Reveille or taps, no...  I have never been stationed where they play the AF fight song so I have no idea.  I would assume no...

Mrs.Brugger
by Tiara on Apr. 17, 2013 at 10:13 AM

No clue.

.oOMellyOo.
by Silver Member on Apr. 17, 2013 at 1:05 PM
1 mom liked this

It depends on the base as well. At Hood for a long time they didn't stop during retreat an reveille, but now they do. Its up to the base commander.

SierraLynn
by on Apr. 17, 2013 at 1:59 PM

The only post we've been to where its expected you stop your car is Wainwright, but that was a few years ago. Everywhere else we have been you only stop if you're walking outside and such.

JMmama
by Kara on Apr. 17, 2013 at 2:00 PM
Thanks. Yeah, the AF fight song was a new one to me too.

Quoting jas_momof2:

Reveille or taps, no...  I have never been stationed where they play the AF fight song so I have no idea.  I would assume no...

JMmama
by Kara on Apr. 17, 2013 at 2:03 PM
Yeah, Eielson was the last time we lived on base, lol. We stopped there but they didn't play it during the winter. At Nellis you stopped the car for retreat but I was rarely on base at that time.

Quoting SierraLynn:

The only post we've been to where its expected you stop your car is Wainwright, but that was a few years ago. Everywhere else we have been you only stop if you're walking outside and such.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Apr. 17, 2013 at 2:07 PM
1 mom liked this
You are always supposed to stop car and what you are doing. Reveille the start of the day, colors is respecting your country and those who fight for it including your spouse, and taps is respecting those fallen. It really peeves me when people don't show respect. A lot think that because they are driving through housing it doesn't matter. I also find it sad that while playing outside with the neighbors none of the other adults or kids stood and respected it until my 3yo at the time did.
usmclife58
by Nikki on Apr. 17, 2013 at 2:41 PM

The only times I have heard it are in the mornings and evenings (raising and lowering the flag), and one is supposed to stop, face the direction of the flag if outside. I am rarely on base for either of those though. I think I have had to stop at the Exchange in the evenings, and once at the MCCS office in the morning.

sahmw2010
by Beth on Apr. 17, 2013 at 2:46 PM
Last post, only stopped at 5 as tgey lowered tge flag, and only if u were on the road by where the flag was. Everyone just seemed to go about their day, and half the time didnt hear the stuff unless i was alread over by the flag within a few blocks
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN