Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

I'm terrified of my son's deployment

Posted by on Apr. 18, 2013 at 6:43 PM
  • 29 Replies
OK....My son has been enlisted for a little over a yr and is stationed at FT CAMPBELL,KY. Yes, he is an Infantryman and proud of it. My son is only 20 yo and a sweet kid. KID. He has NO idea what he may be facing overseas and he's even anxious to go. He is going with other men who have been deployed before and we have spoken to them. They say they'll get him back safe, but can they really? I am a "hot mess". My dh and I are both veterans and know how the military works. We know they will try to keep them all safe. There are no guarantees and promises. I just pray that my son and the soldiers hes with will not have to endure combat with casualties. I have a feeling I'm going to need some therapy...
by on Apr. 18, 2013 at 6:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mrs.Brugger
by Tiara on Apr. 18, 2013 at 6:46 PM
1 mom liked this

Stay strong mama!!  All they can do is their very best. Which probably isn't what you want to hear, but they should all look out for each other.  

lucky2Beeme
by Bronze Member on Apr. 18, 2013 at 6:51 PM
1 mom liked this

Huge hugs momma. I have made it through 2 deployments with my son. No soldier no matter what age knows what they are in for. Until the first time they go. I did a lot of praying and did see a therapist. It was hard maybe the hardest thing I have lived through. My son went with a great group of guys and I had to believe in them. We were blessed they all made it back safely. message me if I can help you momma.

Marinemom2386
by on Apr. 19, 2013 at 9:26 AM

I am feeling the same way. My son is in the air as I type, headed to Afganistan. He lives in Okinawa, haven't seen him in almost 2 years.  I have lots of friends and family offering prayers and support but no one really knows what it's like unless they have said good bye to their baby as they are heading to a war zone. 

cocoroo
by Coco on Apr. 19, 2013 at 10:17 AM

You just have to have faith and not dwell on the negative.  I will be watching my dh leave on his 6th deployment shortly and o just try not to think of the what ifs.   

adrianna1043
by Adrianna on Apr. 19, 2013 at 12:09 PM
Wow, my mil never went through all these emotions, when my husband was deployed. She's crazy though.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Aqua_Jen
by Gold Member on Apr. 19, 2013 at 12:26 PM
1 mom liked this
Just remember, this is what he trains for. It's what HE wants and needs to do. Try not to think of the "what if" scenarios.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cuchiae
by on Apr. 19, 2013 at 2:58 PM

My son just deployed.  He has been living at Fort Stewart for the past year so very hard.  I have been involved in a Troop Support group for the past 6 years and find that stepping up my participation has really helped me.  There are lots of Army and Marine Moms who have been there and done it and offer great support in that group. Stay strong and look to see if there are any activities you can lend a hand to that will help you stay and feel connected.  

layedbackmama
by on Apr. 19, 2013 at 5:51 PM
I have a good relationship with my son and I was military so I know more than the average mom. I was in a combat support battalion so whenever the Infantry did something "we" went too. My dh is also a veteran so he knows what my son will be going through. That makes us a unique family. Makes us worry more.
Nvmom10
by Member on Apr. 19, 2013 at 7:24 PM

Hi,

i totally understand how you feel. My son is 22 yrs and in the Army, he has been stationed in Guam for 2 yrs and now has orders to transfer to Ft Campbell in July. I am terrified as well and have no idea how fast they will deploy him, I'm hoping to visit him in July or August before any deployments if possible. My son is in communications currently but have no idea if he will be infantry next.

As of right now is there any orders for deployment for your son? Do you live in the same state?

We can only pray and stay strong & support them, I have joined groups such as this one we are on and there is the Blue Stars Moms once he deploys to help with support, maybe try to join any groups in your own town/city to help you with this.  I had to go to counseling when my son first enlisted it was very hard for me, he was the baby of the family the last to leave the house and going into the military. Don't get me wrong, I'm very supportive of his decsion and so proud of him for making such a great decision to defend our country but as a Mom I worry and think always the worst.  I am dealing with it better now but i am seeking support with my son too since he will be transferred to The 101st Airborne Unit Ft Campbell Ky in July, I am already experiencing anxiety with the stuff happening with N. Korea and Guam possibly being threatened and now the transfer to Ft Campbell.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Apr. 20, 2013 at 10:48 AM
1 mom liked this
:-/

Sorry you are worried so and it might be a good idea to do the therapy.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN