Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

My dh is going to graduate basic, we are on a tight budget and we are trying to find out how much we need to set aside for everything.

Where is the cheapest place to find flight, hotels, car rentels?

DS will be between 20months-2 years old. What all can you bring as a carry on? And what can be checked? like his stroller? the carseat? If he is under two he will share a seat, can it be checked for free? Or will it count as a Checked item and cost?

What as fas as carry on items can we bring ( I know the small carry on suitcase, And personal item like a purse) But diaperbag? Or if he has a small backpack?

And really anything else that you can tell me.

by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 12:04 PM
Replies (11-15):
brightonsmom12
by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 8:56 PM

It is about the same price either way, it is the amount of time driving solo that will get to me I think.

Quoting JMmama:

I agree with this.

Quoting TippyD:

look into if it would be cheaper to drive. we do NOT check our car seats. :( too much risk of them getting damaged.  plus you will need to buy insurance for your flight or not buy till closer to his graduation, JIC something happens and he gets pushed back a class:/

JMmama
by Kara on Apr. 24, 2013 at 9:00 PM
How far is it?

Quoting brightonsmom12:

It is about the same price either way, it is the amount of time driving solo that will get to me I think.

Quoting JMmama:

I agree with this.

Quoting TippyD:

look into if it would be cheaper to drive. we do NOT check our car seats. :( too much risk of them getting damaged.  plus you will need to buy insurance for your flight or not buy till closer to his graduation, JIC something happens and he gets pushed back a class:/

SlapItHigh
by Platinum Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 12:30 PM
Exactly.

Quoting usmclife58:

Personally, I would leave the stroller and buy like a little umbrella stroller or something at a Walmart or Target. A kid, carseat, carry-ons, AND a stroller? No thanks. That is too much to lug around for me.

24clark
by Member on May. 2, 2013 at 3:50 AM

I just flew my daughter and 11 mo grandson in on Delta. They allowed any child under 2 on a lap to fly free. DD was able to check in the car seat with her luggage for free and she could use the stroller up to the plane and they did a check in for it there so she was able to use it at the HUB in Atlanta between flights as well. She only used the diaper bag for her carry on, and they are reasonable about liquids for the formula if you do not breast feed. BTW her first suitcase is free and any additional would have been about $25. They accommodate women with children allowing them to board first etc.

That's the extent of my knowledge on traveling with a little one. Hope it helps for what it is worth. Best of luck to you and travel safe!ladybug 

B1Bomber
by Member on May. 2, 2013 at 11:28 AM

I know Delta does not charge to check carseats or strollers. Your child only gets a carryon if she has her own seat. Children under 2 can be lap children, but anything they have with them counts toward your carryon limit.

Look into renting a car from an office not at the airport. They are almost always cheaper. You can take a bus or train or shuttle to get to the rental place from the airport.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)