Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

My son wants to enlist ... nervous

Posted by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 3:20 PM
  • 22 Replies

My son is finishing his freshman year in high school and had decided on a future in the military. He hasn't decided on which branch or if it's going to be a life-long commitment, but he knows the service is his place after graduation.

I'm nervous about his decision but will whole heartedly support him going where he feels he is called. How do I help him decide his course? He has things he's passionate about and interested in. Is it too early to talk to recruiters?

Thanks! Anna

by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 3:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SierraLynn
by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 3:34 PM
It's early to talk to recruiters. I'd have him wait till his Jr or senior year to talk to one.
In helping him decide, there isn't much you can do but support him. Which branch and job he chooses are very personal decisions. And once he decides on a branch, there are a lot of steps to take before he chooses a job.
Good luck. :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gunsgirl
by Silver Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 4:00 PM

it is way way way way to early to talk to a recruiter.

I would tell him to get through his junior year and then you can talk about joining.

my DS enlisted in the Navy on the third day of his senior year. he served 8 years AD, and got out, used his GI bill to get a Masters in Business and now owns his own company.

anlei05
by Bronze Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 4:30 PM

A lot can change between now and graduation...

And yes, it's too early. Besides, his interests may turn him in another direction. But it's cool he's thinking about his future and that you're supportive. He has a good mama. ;-D

jas_momof2
by アニメの雌犬 on Apr. 24, 2013 at 4:32 PM
2 moms liked this

I disagree that it's too early to talk to a recruiter.  He's not going to sign up right then and there, however - if he has specific questions, a recruiter would be able to answer them and give him information to help him decide what branch, what career path (if any) he would be interested in.  He can plan his high school career accordingly as well (ap classes, certain science or other electives he could have access to)...

usmclife58
by Nikki on Apr. 24, 2013 at 4:39 PM
1 mom liked this

This! Enlisting is a big deal, so him looking into it now and really getting a good idea of what he is getting into is much better than waiting until the last minute. He can learn all his options - enlisting, or going in as an officer, what branch he prefers, what will be expected of him. It could potentially change the courses he takes in high school. 

Quoting jas_momof2:

I disagree that it's too early to talk to a recruiter.  He's not going to sign up right then and there, however - if he has specific questions, a recruiter would be able to answer them and give him information to help him decide what branch, what career path (if any) he would be interested in.  He can plan his high school career accordingly as well (ap classes, certain science or other electives he could have access to)...

TiffLa
by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 9:37 PM
He will not be able to enlist as a freshman anyway , but I agree that it could be worth it to talk with a recruiter. This can give your son and yourself a chance to ask questions , gather information , etc. and your son can then make an informed decision. He will also know ahead of time what his strengths already are and better gauge what skills he may need to gain or improve on to hive him his best shot at getting the MOS ( job) he wants and that is most suited to play on his strengths, interests, and personality. He will know how physically fit he is and again, what he needs to improve on. He can also check into joining ROTC at his school if they offer it. This will give him time to explore his interest in the military, his options, and may be an advantage when it comes to having a better rank.
Laura
sahmw2010
by Beth on Apr. 24, 2013 at 9:48 PM
In the state were are in now, there is a JROTC program for freshman in up. Talk to a recruiter and see if they have a program he can join
sahmw2010
by Beth on Apr. 24, 2013 at 9:52 PM
The program is military structured to see if this is what they want AFTER graduation. It is NOT a im signed up now. They can choose they no longer want to be in the service and get out of the program. This way he can get a feel for it and decide if that is for sure the route he wants to take
Mizuagi
by Bronze Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 10:07 PM

I agree with this. My brother said the same thing when he went into high school and he joined JROTC and he was in it for a couple years and then realized that it wasn't what he really wanted to do anymore.

Quoting sahmw2010:

The program is military structured to see if this is what they want AFTER graduation. It is NOT a im signed up now. They can choose they no longer want to be in the service and get out of the program. This way he can get a feel for it and decide if that is for sure the route he wants to take

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
angieo39
by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 10:18 PM
We decided to support our kids no matter their choice. Way to early for us to worry!
I have asked DH the what if question regarding our son when he reaches age? He was quick No way in hell! but later he knows he wouldn't stop him. I can't see our son putting his family through the craziness we have experienced through his dads career path but it will be his decision.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN