Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tricare and going on vacation

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 8 Replies

Do we need to do anything for Tricare if my kids and I are going on vacation to visit my parents? I know there is a VA hospital where we are going. I just don'tknow what to do if one of my kids needs to see a doctor, not just going to the ER. I know ER visits are covered for a real emergency.  We will be there 3 weeks and leaving Monday and Im having a hard time finding anything online.

Thanks.

Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 24, 2013 at 3:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
.oOMellyOo.
by Silver Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 3:55 PM
1 mom liked this

If one gets sick, just call tricare, most of the time they can find you an urgent care near you, if there is not one available the ER is your only option, and it doesn't have to be the VA, you can go into any ER. It never fails that when we go in vaca one will end up in the ER for ear infections, strep, flu.... we're just cool like that :P

JMmama
by Kara on Apr. 24, 2013 at 3:58 PM
Yep.

Quoting .oOMellyOo.:

If one gets sick, just call tricare, most of the time they can find you an urgent care near you, if there is not one available the ER is your only option, and it doesn't have to be the VA, you can go into any ER. It never fails that when we go in vaca one will end up in the ER for ear infections, strep, flu.... we're just cool like that :P

gunsgirl
by Silver Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 3:58 PM

while on vacation ou can just use the ER. it is not a big deal.

you are never authorised to use a VA clinic.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Apr. 24, 2013 at 3:58 PM

Thank you!!!

Quoting .oOMellyOo.:

Mrs.Brugger
by Tiara on Apr. 24, 2013 at 11:48 PM
Quoting .oOMellyOo.:

Awh that sucks!
all4gumby
by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 10:13 AM

I have done this frequently.  I prefer Urgent Care over an ER, because it is so much faster.  FYI ~ if you are out of your region for more than 30 days you have to switch to that region.  But, they only start counting once you call and tell them by requesting services and you can always say you left and came back.  When I call them I never tell them how long I plan to stay or have been staying in an area. 

Tricare has regions, if you are traveling within your Tricare region it is really easy to call the 800 number and get a referal.  If you are traveling outside your region, you still call the 800 number, but sometimes it is more difficult to get a referal, because they do not know who accepts Tricare.  Either way if you go to Urgent Care or an ER always call your PCM and let them know.

West Region switched  to United Healthcare and no longer uses Tricare.

SlapItHigh
by Gold Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 11:43 AM
We would use urgent care or er when on vaca.
TonyaLea
by Silver Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 11:47 AM

I have often wondered this myself!  Thanks for asking!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)