Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

Grrrr....my pointless vent (revoking leave)

Posted by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 4:59 PM
  • 37 Replies

My MIL's 60th birthday was last summer.  For a present, we offered to buy her a round-trip ticket to visit us once we moved.  Well, she told us about a month ago she would like to come the week of my DH's and younger DD's 1st birthday (they share a b-day).  So two weeks ago my husband puts in for the leave, it is approved, we buy MIL's plane ticket.  Now, yesterday, my husband finds out they have scheduled something (he didn't specify) for that week he is suppose to be gone.  He addressed it with his superiors and asked if it was going to be a problem for him not to be there, and they "freaked" and said yes, most definitely.  GRRRRRR!!!!!!!

His leave was APPROVED!  We BOUGHT the plane ticket.

Typical Navy/Military.

He is still going to try to find someone to cover for him, but I am not holding my breath.

OK, vent over.

Have you ladies ever had a vacation / leave ruined?

Lilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers

by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 4:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SierraLynn
by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 5:11 PM

Yup. more then once but nothing that ever effected plane tickets since we mainly drive everywhere so it wasn't that huge of a deal. It sucks, but you just got roll with the punches. If it were me, Id hang out and spend some good quality time with my kids and MIL.

I dont know how your MIL is though. Mine is freaking awesome I love her.

TonyaLea
by Silver Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 5:13 PM
1 mom liked this

Ya, I wouldn't say freaking awesome...but she is OK.  She is still coming either way, but it would be MUCH more enjoyable of DH was home.

Quoting SierraLynn:

Yup. more then once but nothing that ever effected plane tickets since we mainly drive everywhere so it wasn't that huge of a deal. It sucks, but you just got roll with the punches. If it were me, Id hang out and spend some good quality time with my kids and MIL.

jas_momof2
by アニメの雌犬 on Apr. 24, 2013 at 5:16 PM

Oh yeah... many times...

SierraLynn
by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 5:20 PM

I get it. My daughters first birthday my parents came to us to celebrate (Im not to fond of my mom). DH had everything approved and signed to take the weekend off. Yes, the weekend. He was cadre for basic training at that time and worked 7 days a week during cycles for 2 years. So I was excited he wouldn't miss her birthday (since he missed her birth being deployed) and he helps me deal with my mother who drives me insane. Well, that Saturday comes and he gets called at 430am from his first line fuming about him not showing up to work. He tried to explain that he had actual leave paperwork signed for 2 days, and apparently his leave was revoked because they were taking the privates into the field 3 days early and no one told him. But was somehow his fault because he didnt ask about it Friday at closeout... O_o

Quoting TonyaLea:

Ya, I wouldn't say freaking awesome...but she is OK.  She is still coming either way, but it would be MUCH more enjoyable of DH was home.

Quoting SierraLynn:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
4ever-SJ
by Gold Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 5:22 PM

Quoting jas_momof2:

Oh yeah... many times...

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TonyaLea
by Silver Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 5:22 PM

Oh my gosh, that would suck!  So did he have to spend 3 days in the field instead of being home?

Quoting SierraLynn:

I get it. My daughters first birthday my parents came to us to celebrate (Im not to fond of my mom). DH had everything approved and signed to take the weekend off. Yes, the weekend. He was cadre for basic training at that time and worked 7 days a week during cycles for 2 years. So I was excited he wouldn't miss her birthday (since he missed her birth being deployed) and he helps me deal with my mother who drives me insane. Well, that Saturday comes and he gets called at 430am from his first line fuming about him not showing up to work. He tried to explain that he had actual leave paperwork signed for 2 days, and apparently his leave was revoked because they were taking the privates into the field 3 days early and no one told him. But was somehow his fault because he didnt ask about it Friday at closeout... O_o

Quoting TonyaLea:

Quoting SierraLynn:

SierraLynn
by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 5:26 PM

Oh yeah, he went to work and we didn't see him for a week. He came home well after midnight and was back at work by 4 am in the morning. a few nights he just stayed out there because the commute wasn't worth it.

Quoting TonyaLea:

Oh my gosh, that would suck!  So did he have to spend 3 days in the field instead of being home?

Quoting SierraLynn:

Quoting TonyaLea:

Quoting SierraLynn:

TonyaLea
by Silver Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 5:27 PM

I have heard those basic training jobs are the real pits.  Guess they weren't joking, LOL.

Quoting SierraLynn:

Oh yeah, he went to work and we didn't see him for a week. He came home well after midnight and was back at work by 4 am in the morning. a few nights he just stayed out there because the commute wasn't worth it.

Quoting TonyaLea:

Quoting SierraLynn:

Quoting TonyaLea:

adrianna1043
by Adrianna on Apr. 24, 2013 at 5:37 PM
I've never plan out our trips far in advance. I have gone on a lot of vacations without him, the sun still shines.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SierraLynn
by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 5:43 PM

It wouldn't have been so bad if they had the amount of people they truly needed. They are supposed to have a lot more then 3 cadre, I'll tell ya that!! But HHT merged into Alpha troop for the BRAC move from KY to GA where the battalion moved. So with the merger of the troops Branch saw that Alpha had plenty of personnel and never sent anyone to them, when in reality 98% of the troop were in the shops and not authorized to train the kids. So stupid.

Quoting TonyaLea:

I have heard those basic training jobs are the real pits.  Guess they weren't joking, LOL.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN