Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

FRGs

Posted by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 3:45 AM
  • 44 Replies

What's your take on FRGs?  Do you participate in them?  Get involved?  Or stay away?  What has your experience been?

by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 3:45 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
barrelracer1699
by Chel on Apr. 28, 2013 at 6:07 AM

Stay away. The one from my husbands last company was pure drama, then non existint, then the comander let his wife yell at the leader for an hour before saying that all the officers were done and his wife was taking over. His new company I haven't heard anything from!

anchorgurl
by Silver Member on Apr. 28, 2013 at 7:05 AM

Are you up at this hour making 300 cupcakes for a party this afternoon at 2:00?  My only experience was that it was really stupid to volunteer for anything; I was very much a newbie at the time and yes, I actually ended up baking 300 cupcakes because no one else was doing it.  Scored big points for DH and learned my lesson, haha.  Actually because I work they pretty much leave me alone, but I do have people over for tea and kind of enjoy that.

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Apr. 28, 2013 at 7:23 AM

Oh I'm just curious!  I've had my own experiences and was just curious as to what others' experiences were:)  That's all.  I've yet to find one that wasn't full of drama...I stay away from FRGs...any and all of them!

Quoting barrelracer1699:

Stay away. The one from my husbands last company was pure drama, then non existint, then the comander let his wife yell at the leader for an hour before saying that all the officers were done and his wife was taking over. His new company I haven't heard anything from!

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Apr. 28, 2013 at 7:24 AM

LOL!  Oh goodness no!  My son was up from 2:00-4:30 this morning, so therefore I was up as well:)  I have NOTHING to do with FRGs...tried it twice and hated it so, I stay away from those.  I was just curious:)

Quoting anchorgurl:

Are you up at this hour making 300 cupcakes for a party this afternoon at 2:00?  My only experience was that it was really stupid to volunteer for anything; I was very much a newbie at the time and yes, I actually ended up baking 300 cupcakes because no one else was doing it.  Scored big points for DH and learned my lesson, haha.  Actually because I work they pretty much leave me alone, but I do have people over for tea and kind of enjoy that.

socialworker227
by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 7:26 AM
1 mom liked this

When my DH deployed I attended 3 FRG meetings. There was some drama and gossip but I worked full-time so I didn't have the time to attend each meeting.

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Apr. 28, 2013 at 7:32 AM

My husband's boat from several years ago had a horrible FRG!  It was PCU (pre-com unit) submarine and the guys weren't even gone, but the COB wanted to have a strong FRG.  I think the ladies had good intentions from the start, but it was too much gossip and drama for me.  I was pregnant with my son at the time, and during that time, I found out my son had Cystic Fibrosis, so it was a difficult time emotionally.  I stopped associating with all involved and focused on my family and never looked back.  I told him once he got to his next boat a few years later that I wanted NOTHING to do with any wives from the boat..no FRG, no volunteer stuff, NOTHING.  I told him if a wife needed  help with something, he could give the service member my number or email and she could contact me with whatever she needed help with, and I would gather resources as best I could.  Other than that, I wanted nothing to do with any wives from his boat and I've remained that way ever since.  I typically stay away from Navy wives altogether to be honest...other than on this page!  LOL!

Mrs.Brugger
by Tiara on Apr. 28, 2013 at 9:49 AM
1 mom liked this

i've stayed relatively away. I would go to the mandatory meetings, but that was it. I just didn't know anyone and I didn't want to put in the effort of trying to get to know them because I'm a very closed-off person to strangers so opening up in the beginning is really hard =[

AnAnxiousHeart
by Silver Member on Apr. 28, 2013 at 10:07 AM
I was actively involved in the first, the frg leader of the second, and this third unit does not have an frg.
SierraLynn
by Just Me on Apr. 28, 2013 at 10:24 AM
1 mom liked this
I don't deal with the frg.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TonyaLea
by Silver Member on Apr. 28, 2013 at 11:00 AM
1 mom liked this
I don't have any experience with them. I know several moms that love them and have met some really good friends...but I don't really have the desire.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)