Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

do you or your military spouse agree?

Posted by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 1:08 PM
  • 36 Replies
1 mom liked this
We had a huge debate at work yesterday:
People who make rank with plans to get out within the year.

One of the guys missed it by like 15 points and another guy in our shop made tech but sews on in may and gets out in august. A lot of people said it was wrong to take a slot from someone who is staying in, but I don't really see it like that and then got accused of batting for the wrong team. lol.

In the air force, we test and to me, if you know it, you shouldn't fake it or anything.

Idk. I've been in for 16 years and have never dealt with this anger that a lot of my coworkers have.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 1:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
adrianna1043
by Adrianna on Apr. 30, 2013 at 1:13 PM
5 moms liked this
It's non of their business how anyone scores on any test. If they can't cut it, they shouldn't expect someone else to botch a test so they can move up.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
carlyshort
by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 1:17 PM
1 mom liked this
Exactly.

I.don't see it as them taking a slot from someone else. That person still earned their line number even if they do get out. They earned it.

Quoting adrianna1043:

It's non of their business how anyone scores on any test. If they can't cut it, they shouldn't expect someone else to botch a test so they can move up.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
anlei05
by Bronze Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 1:36 PM
1 mom liked this

Are you talking about retirement when you say "get out?" Because who the hell wouldn't want the rank? It makes all the difference in regards to retirement pay. Regardless if retiring or not, I don't think any of those folks bitching would flub on the tests either. If you earn it, you deserve it.

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Apr. 30, 2013 at 1:37 PM

Totally agree!

Quoting adrianna1043:

carlyshort
by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 1:40 PM
Nope. Not retirement. Just not reupping.

Quoting anlei05:

Are you talking about retirement when you say "get out?" Because who the hell wouldn't want the rank? It makes all the difference in regards to retirement pay. Regardless if retiring or not, I don't think any of those folks bitching would flub on the tests either. If you earn it, you deserve it.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
violinjewel
by Julia on Apr. 30, 2013 at 1:41 PM
This.

Quoting adrianna1043:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TippyD
by Gold Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 1:42 PM
2 moms liked this

i agree with you. Yeah it sucks to be the guy planning on staying in to see a guy who is getting out get the rank, BUT if you want rank, work your ass off, study harder, etc. Don't expect others to roll over so you can get an easy pass.  kwim?

TippyD
by Gold Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 1:45 PM
2 moms liked this

I know for navy, they have to have so much time in rank for it to count, soo the situation the OP used, the person getting out would not get the retirement pay for the next rank.

Italiancouture7
by Krystine on Apr. 30, 2013 at 1:46 PM

Your not taking a slot from anyone, you either make the testing cutoff for that grade or you don't. It doesnt work by the number of slots. The cutoff for TSgt when my husband tested was 308 for his career field. If your tests scores and other points don't match or surpass that score you simply don't make it. It's not because someone stole the slot from you lol...

TippyD
by Gold Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 1:52 PM
1 mom liked this

for the navy they only allow for so many of each rank to make it. they take test scores, PNA points, Evals, Time in, etc to come up with who can make it.  so for the navy it would be "taking a slot from someone"

Quoting Italiancouture7:

Your not taking a slot from anyone, you either make the testing cutoff for that grade or you don't. It doesnt work by the number of slots. The cutoff for TSgt when my husband tested was 308 for his career field. If your tests scores and other points don't match or surpass that score you simply don't make it. It's not because someone stole the slot from you lol...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)