Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

Lose money on deployment?

Posted by on May. 7, 2013 at 7:57 PM
  • 4 Replies

DH just left for Japan for a UDP. So I know after 30 days we'll be entitled to separation pay but since they're taking the BAS all I can calculate is a loss on our end... It's honestly making me have a small mental breakdown since we're extremely tight on money as is. Nobody from his unit could give us an answer to how much we would come ahead or fall behind.

Did you come ahead on a UDP?

by on May. 7, 2013 at 7:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
sahmw2010
by Beth on May. 7, 2013 at 8:02 PM
No personal experience, but from what i have SEEN from my friends, hardship tours like to korea or japan or sonethibg of that nature, they take the BAS for food, even if they dont eat at the mess hall, plus they still need money for laundry, so u end up tight. For deployment to iraq or afgahnstan you cone out ahead. Or atleast in my case we did. My hubby hasnt done the one year hardship so i cant compare that to his deployments. I was basing off of my friends when their hubbys were deployed vs hardship tours
Soniam301
by Sonia on May. 7, 2013 at 10:42 PM
I thought they received COLA Too? maybe I'm wrong Abd that's only if you have dependents that go with you.
kadensmomma0708
by Bronze Member on May. 8, 2013 at 7:43 PM
Quoting Soniam301:

I thought they received COLA Too? maybe I'm wrong Abd that's only if you have dependents that go with you.

he should still get cola. I came after my husband got to Germany and he received cola and then it was adjusted when i became command sponsored and got here.
darbyakeep45
by Darby on May. 9, 2013 at 7:15 AM

No experience but good luck!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)