Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

Marines to Army, any advice?

Posted by on May. 8, 2013 at 9:47 PM
  • 6 Replies

my hubs is currently in the Marine Corps ,6 years, but because of his tattooes and the new restrictions there isn't a whole lot of room to grow in the Corps. He is currently enlisted and before the regulations was considering going Warrant Officer in the MC. 

We are now considering the Army as a Warrant Officer option. He went and spoke to a recruiter today and he sounded pretty hopeful.

I am just worried about the differences for our family and for him. I want him to be sucessful and love what he does. He wonders about the civilian life but honestly he is one of those guys that seem to be bred for the military.

I guess I was wondering if anyone has made the switch and what their thoughts are? Or some Army perspective what's life realy like?

by on May. 8, 2013 at 9:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
usmclife58
by Nikki on May. 8, 2013 at 9:58 PM

According to the what just came out October 2012, the Army is no longer accepting Marines for WO. My husband was going to do the same. Not sure why the recruiter was giving him hope...

TishHughes
by on May. 8, 2013 at 11:19 PM

Where are his tattoos and what are they of? The army isn't being as lenient on tattoos as there were during the conflicts. They are telling people get the tattoos removed (at your own cost) or get yourself removed. So depending on what your husband has and where, he may just have to get what he has taken off.

darbyakeep45
by Darby on May. 9, 2013 at 7:14 AM

No experience but good luck!

Apollos82
by on May. 9, 2013 at 12:12 PM

Army isn't currently open to prior service.

Minaleigh
by on May. 9, 2013 at 1:23 PM

He Has started testing and knows other Marines in the process. It may be the MOS or time in service that differs because I know someone who after four years tried to transfer and was turned down.

It may be the program he is pursuing, its the WOFT, Warrant Officer Flight Training. The requirements for this are different than the other Warrant Officer jobs.

He has a sleeve tattoo dedicated to his childhood friend who died of leukemia shortly after they graduated. He also had it in full view, and I understand the recruiter may be leading us on and trying to get us in whatever way they can. However in order to be released from the Marine Corps and approved to transfer it has to be sent all the way up the line to headquaters. And then you have to be selected as a warrant officer and then through the school and on to flight training.

I know the process, I know the challenges, I know it may not work out but right now its looking up. MY question was more focused on the lifestyle and branch demand differences.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on May. 9, 2013 at 1:38 PM
He wants to be a pilot with a full sleeve? I don't think that the Army wants pilots to have identifing markers like that.

Quoting Minaleigh:

He Has started testing and knows other Marines in the process. It may be the MOS or time in service that differs because I know someone who after four years tried to transfer and was turned down.

It may be the program he is pursuing, its the WOFT, Warrant Officer Flight Training. The requirements for this are different than the other Warrant Officer jobs.

He has a sleeve tattoo dedicated to his childhood friend who died of leukemia shortly after they graduated. He also had it in full view, and I understand the recruiter may be leading us on and trying to get us in whatever way they can. However in order to be released from the Marine Corps and approved to transfer it has to be sent all the way up the line to headquaters. And then you have to be selected as a warrant officer and then through the school and on to flight training.

I know the process, I know the challenges, I know it may not work out but right now its looking up. MY question was more focused on the lifestyle and branch demand differences.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN