Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Life after the Military

Posted by on May. 31, 2013 at 8:59 PM
  • 16 Replies

My husband and I have been talking about what we are going to do after he leaves the Navy. He has decided not to reenlist and he has about two and a half years left. We have been talking about places to move to and buy a house but so far we are haven't had much progress. I realize we still have time to plan but I just want a better idea about what is to come. He wants to go to college and work, plus I will be on my career path by then so hopefully money won't be too big of a deal. We just don't have any good ideas where we want to go afterwards. We know that we want coastal, east or west not sure which just yet but I was hoping to find some good ideas in here. Also any advice on the transition or anything after military life would be great. I was just getting use to military life now I have to re-learn everything again. Thanks for any advice in advance.

by on May. 31, 2013 at 8:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
cocoroo
by on May. 31, 2013 at 9:12 PM
1 mom liked this

I would go wherever we could secure employment.

asaffell
by on May. 31, 2013 at 9:17 PM

This. Even though we didn't have jobs lined up, we looked at where business capital was being spent and jobs were being created in the field that my husband was going to work in. Although we live in an area with higher cost of living, we also have opportunity that we wouldn't have elsewhere.

Quoting cocoroo:

4ever-SJ
by Gold Member on May. 31, 2013 at 10:21 PM
Ditto.

Quoting cocoroo:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mrs.Brugger
by on May. 31, 2013 at 10:24 PM

I'm not too much help =[ DH is getting out at the end of the year. We'll be in our hometown, so that parts figured out, but he doesnt have any jobs lined up yet so hes really nervous =[

SlapItHigh
by on May. 31, 2013 at 11:01 PM

Dh is still in so I'm not help but we've been thinking about these things too.  He already has head hunters calling him and we are pretty sure where we want to live.

gunsgirl
by Silver Member on Jun. 1, 2013 at 7:40 AM
2 moms liked this

DH retires in 15 months. we have been planning this for 10 years.

save save save - you want to have at least 6 months of his entire pay, including BAH and BAS saved when he seperates.

use TA - tuition assistance NOW!! in 2 years he could have his AA degree and then will be able to use his GI bill for a Bachelors.

you will not be able to buy a home with in 2 years after you move- you will need 2 yaers of verifiable, unimterupted employment.

you will also need a couple grand saved for closing costs and pre paids, even if you go VA.

have him start documenting every single pain and ailment he has, he will need this all documented to apply for VA benefits.

do a budget: look at his income - BAH BAS, base pay- add that together add in another 300 -500 dollars for the cost of medical,  and then divide by 40- this is what he will need to make to equal his income as AD. this is usually the most painful part,

and lastly- start paying off debt, get out of the service with a clean slate, no car payments, no CC bills. ect

anchorgurl
by Silver Member on Jun. 1, 2013 at 7:53 AM

Start looking for places that can use both of your skill sets in the labor market, then narrow it down by looking more closely at his educational opportunities in both of those places.  Think twice about buying a place until you actually live in the community for a while and know that you both like your jobs and have opportunities.  It can be difficult to sell a home (and you won't have much equity for a while) so try and keep your expenses down until you are more settled.

TonyaLea
by Silver Member on Jun. 1, 2013 at 9:22 AM

My husband and I did this back in 2006.  He was going to get out and we wanted to move back home near family, and he wanted to go to college (I had just graduated college).  However, right when he was planning to get out, civilians took over his old command, and offered him a job.  So we stayed another year, and I found a job there.  Eventually we finally started looking for colleges within driving distance of home, and then I looked for employment in those areas.  I was offered a job and he was accepted to a college, and we moved.   About a year in he also joined the Navy Reserves.  

The plan was for him to go back into contracting, at a higher rate, when he graduated.  However, the market fell right after we moved, and by the time he graduated unemployment was skyrocketing.   His reserve command gave him 6 months active orders to keep him employed while he looked for jobs, which was awesome, but eventually he got impatient and put in his officer package and was accepted.  So here we are, back into the military life after about 5 years being civilian/reserves.  

chrlstoncharmed
by Melissa on Jun. 1, 2013 at 9:51 AM
This and this. We had a handful of places we wanted to live but our options changed when we researched state and local economies, job markets, cost of living, education and quality of life.

Quoting asaffell:

This. Even though we didn't have jobs lined up, we looked at where business capital was being spent and jobs were being created in the field that my husband was going to work in. Although we live in an area with higher cost of living, we also have opportunity that we wouldn't have elsewhere.

Quoting cocoroo:

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jun. 1, 2013 at 3:09 PM

These ladies have the right ideas.  Good luck!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)