Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

Do you and your family have picnics regularly?

Posted by on Jun. 19, 2013 at 2:57 PM
  • 66 Replies

We gave our influencer moms a gift card for Brawny Paper Towels and asked them to plan a patriotic picnic/party for their family and friends. See what are moms have to say about their day and then tell us, do you and your family have picnics regularly?

by on Jun. 19, 2013 at 2:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Featured Replies
avasmommee
by on Jun. 19, 2013 at 7:32 PM

We are a very close knit family, and extended family!! We often have picnics every weekend at my parents home. For this assignment, it was my parents, my husband, my 5 yr old daughter, my sister, brother-in-law, and my 4 year old nephew. As stated earlier, we are very close, and we even take vacation together. It is extra special as my brother-in-law is now with us, because he has been deployed twice. My father and husband are both veterans as well. For this assignment, we bought the children construction paper, glue, scissors, glitter, and markers. They made American Flags out of their supplies to specifically honor the troops. As for the picnic, we decorated in an Indepence/American theme-we had red/white/blue table clothes, napkins, cups, and utensils. We had hamburgers, hot dogs, BBQ, corn, baked beans, cole slaw, deviled eggs, potato salad, egg salad, fruit salad, pumpkin pie and apple pie. We had a volleyball game, and a "T-ball" game. As far as the paper towels, we were quite pleased with how well Brawny held up!!! We usually use Bounty, and I have to say, Brawny works just as well, if not better than Bounty! I had not used Brawny in the past, but I will, and have already, recommened Brawny to a friend!!

avasmommee

Our family regularly has picnics on the weekends! We LOVE to grill out, have my sister, brother-in-law and nephew down so my daughter, Ava, age 5 will have someone to play with during the picnics! My mom loves to make coleslaw and potato salad, and I make a mean deviled egg!! We just love our time together, and we also all vacation together too. It is particulary special as my brother-in-law has done two tours and we are so happy to have him back home--he is our hero, as are all of the men and women serving our country every day!!!!

mom2jessnky
by Dedi on Jun. 19, 2013 at 2:57 PM
1 mom liked this

We love to grill out with friends. We'll all gather at someone's house, grill some food and let the kids play. Everyone contributes to the food and fun, and we all have a great time together.

I've met some of the best people living where I do now, the military moves us all over the place but no matter where we go we always meet the best people.

Angela4boys

We sure do!  And we are outdoorsy!  Our favorite place to have our picnics is the lake.  We go there year round, whether we are bundled up by a fire, or in our swimsuits on the sand, we love the lake.  There is always lots of fishing, Canoeing, food and fun! 

Last weekend we had a cook out here.  In preparation for the day the kids made patriotic star shaped cookies, it was a lot of fun.  I rolled out and pre baked star shaped cookies, provided frosting and lots of red, white and blue sprinkles...it was a lot of fun!

Then for the party, we had BBQ Baby Back Ribs, Baked Potatoes, Pasta Salad, Grapes, Jello Salad, Cookies and punch...mmmm, yummy!  The Brawny Paper towels really came in handy with the clean up of eating BBQ Rib and with the frosting on the cookies ;)  They are soft enough to use on your face and yet did a great clean up!

It was really cool, because the theme of the party sparked conversation about Brawny teaming up with the Wounded Warrior project, and I found out that I know people who have personally been helped by the Wounded Warrior Project.  The kids then brought up about their friends, and that a number of them had parents deployed...they really seemed to feel a personal connection to the sacrifice that these kids, their families, and their Brave Moms and Dads make for our freedom.

And here they are enjoying their cookies :) 

Hottmomma607
by Member on Jun. 19, 2013 at 2:57 PM
We have Sunday dinners with our friends weekly! Usually BBQ!
blondie.mom
by Charity on Jun. 19, 2013 at 2:57 PM
1 mom liked this

We BBQ quite a bit in the summer, 3-4 times a week. When we lived around family, we had BBQs/picnics at least once a month. Unfortunately we are stationed too far from our family/friends to do that as often. We try to make it up to them once a year, either 4th of July for a huge annual BBQ, or Labor Day for a smaller one.

This past Sunday, we hosted a small BBQ for some of our neigbors. We had 6 kids, and 6 adults (one prior service Navy, and DH is active CG). I had a few activities for the kids, but I didn't get pics of them all. I got caught up in visiting, lol so I only got a few shots total. I had chalk, pop-it's (those snapping "fireworks" you throw to pop), and red/white/blue bubbles set out as well as the "projects".  One project was simple, I got little canvas bags and they got to decorate them with puffy paints. Most of the older kids decided to draw the american flag on theirs, which I thought was neat since I didn't really give them direction to do so.

One of the other projects was a Bounty paper towel project :) I REALLY wish I had recorded this one, but I was pretty into it myself! We took little glass beads (the red, white & blue ones in the glass star containers in the upper pic), and we got one Bounty paper towel wet, and one store brand wet, then the kids had to see how many of the glass beads they could put in the paper towels before they ripped.I didn't write down the exact numbers, but one of the older boys got a big handful in the Bounty towels before it tore, it was pretty fun :)

My favorite project was our giant candy bar thank you card to a local Coast Guard station. I helped the kids write some simple lines, and gave them a few ideas by showing them pics online of other candy cards, then we switched around some words for names of candy bars. I sent Dh to the store to get the candy we needed. While he was gone, I printed out the words in bubble letters and let the kids color them in. After rearranging the words and candy bars (and of course eating some extra candy!) we glued the words and candy in place. We also had a gallon ziploc bag full of extra candy to go with the card.

It is kind of blurry, but it says:

To the "lifesavers", to show our "mounds" of appreciation, we went on a candy "spree". "now and later" we hope you can "take 5" to en"joy" the "good and plenty" moments. We know when it's "crunch" time, you "smarties" will be there "fast" with "whoppers" of help. We are glad you took a "fast break" to read our "whatchamacallit", you all "rock"! It's "up2you" if you want to share this candy, so we got you "extra" just in case. Thank you for your service!

Here's some more of them coloring the words, and helping me put them in order:

I was a little worried it might rain us out in the beginning, but we got lucky and had a little sun peak through the clouds. Dh made curly hot dogs and hamburgers. We also had potato salad, macaroni salad, avacado dip, chips, watermelon, blueberries, apples, and sun tea and watermelon strawberry juice. I got a few pics before all the food was set out, but by the time all the food was done, everyone was digging in so I didn't get pics of it all.

(picture below) after most everyone had already made their plates, lol so the meat is almost gone!

The picture below was taken before the meat and salads were put out, this was while we were just visiting for people to munch on.

(picture below) Dh (on the left, AD CG) and our neigbor (on the right, prior Navy)

The decorating was pretty simple. We had all flag/stars plates, napkins and cups. I had several small flags throughout the yard, and a flag wind sock. We had a couple decorative table toppers, but the winds get pretty strong here, and they had to be put up once they started to blow away.

We used Brawny paper towels throughout the entire day. They were used for food, but they were also used for clean up after the art projects. Some of the puffy paint had glitter in it, so I thought it would cling to the kids, but it actually came of really easy with just a little water. I like how thick these paper towels are compared to the store brands we usually get. It was nice to be able to use 1 per kid for clean up, as opposed to several! I will definitely keep an eye out for coupons for them! 

aneela

we used to have a lot more when my son was younger but im hoping we can have a good bit over the summer

johnny4ever
Having a great birthday!
Yesterday at 4:52 PM

We have picnics in park often

anotherandree

We would LOVE to have picnics and try to eat on our patio, but the window of opportunity is pretty small here in Arizona.  When the kids are out of school for the summer, the weather heats up FAST and we are in the triple digits before the middle of May.  Don't get me wrong, I love the heat, but can make it uncomfortable to spend any large amounts of time outdoors!  We do still grill out whenever we can to avoid heating up the kitchen!

deccaf

We don't but DD is only 2 1/2, and between work, school, and general life, picnics are lower on my priority list than doing other special stuff with her.

onecuteladybug2

We LOVE to have picnics and BBQs. I can't wait until this weekend for our next picnic!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)