Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

Be Patriotic...Use the American flag....as a tablecloth...

Posted by on Jun. 14, 2013 at 7:53 PM
  • 19 Replies
1 mom liked this

HGTV's American flag tablecloth sparks outrage

HGTV tablecloth flag: HGTV features an American flag as tablecloth
HGTV. HGTV decided to pull a segment that featured a Fourth of July table setting with an American flag as the tablecloth.

HGTV apologized and pulled an online segment that suggested using the Stars and Stripes as a Fourth of July tablecloth, following an outcry from viewers.

On Flag Day, a home design network is facing outrage for suggesting using an American flag as a tablecloth.

As part of a segment titled "Classic Fourth of July Table Setting Ideas," HGTV featured a display of the Stars and Stripes folded over a table with plates, lemonade and other kitchen sundries on top of it.

"Drape a large American flag over the table as a bright and festive table runner,” the network suggested. “Use a nylon flag so spills can be easily wiped off and the flag can later be hung with pride on a flag pole.”

Related: What is Flag Day?

The patriotic decor didn't go over well with viewers, however.

"You think it's fun and innovative to use the American Flag as a tablecloth???" one woman wrote on HGTV's Facebook page, among a litany of other messages from outraged commenters. "The same flag used on my boy's casket at Arlington Cemetery. The same flag used on my cousin's casket at Arlington Cemetery," she continued.

HGTV pulled the online segment and issued an apology, calling the idea a "regrettable" decision in a statement to fans on Facebook.

"We want to assure our fans that HGTV is proud of the American flag and everything it symbolizes for our people," the network wrote.

The outcry came on the day before Flag Day; on June 14,1777, Congress adopted the Stars and Stripes as the nation's flag.

According to the U.S. Flag Code, the flag "should never touch anything beneath it, such as the ground, the floor, water or merchandise.” While HGTV's setting was clearly a violation, Joe March of the American Legion told Fox News Radio that code infractions are not punishable by law.

by on Jun. 14, 2013 at 7:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jun. 14, 2013 at 8:15 PM

yeah, the idiocy is awesome. 

SierraLynn
by Just Me on Jun. 14, 2013 at 9:10 PM

Yeah I saw that and saw the comments about it.

Smh, disrespectful.

TonyaLea
by Silver Member on Jun. 14, 2013 at 10:25 PM
1 mom liked this

Interesting that not a single HGTV employee thought that this might be frowned upon BEFORE it went public.

ajdahd13
by Member on Jun. 15, 2013 at 12:23 AM
Apparently they originally showed this back in 2011. I'm not sure how true it was, but someone said something on FB and they took it down.
SlapItHigh
by Gold Member on Jun. 15, 2013 at 12:35 AM

That is pretty bad.

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jun. 15, 2013 at 5:52 AM

That is sad....and ridiculous.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jun. 15, 2013 at 5:57 AM
I think it is weird people are upset about it.
soonergirl980
by Member on Jun. 15, 2013 at 8:29 AM

This is pretty disgusting. Where were the people who should have thought hmmmm this is completely disrespectful to the American flag I mean really.

sahmw2010
by Beth on Jun. 15, 2013 at 2:06 PM
1 mom liked this
An actual flag?! No way! But i do have a "flag" table cloth. Its a table cloth fabric that is the flag. I got it when i first married my hubby during his deployment (my first one married to him, but 3rd we been through)
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jun. 15, 2013 at 2:28 PM
1 mom liked this

Why do you have to hide behind anon to be rude?  Have the guts to use your real screen name at least.

Quoting Anonymous:

I think it is weird people are upset about it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)