Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What is the greatest need for military members, veterans, and their families?

Posted by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 5:51 PM
  • 15 Replies

I am a former army wife and I am currently working at a non profit organization. I am applying for a Martin Luther King Jr. Day of Service grant and one of the areas of interest is military member, veterans, and their families. In our area, we have a National Guard unit, as well as many veterans who come back to their hometown after they serve. I need to come up with a project to help military members, veterans, and their families so that I can apply for this grant. I would love to get a variety of feed back, so in your opinion, what is the greatest need that you see?

by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 5:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KimmyShaw
by Bronze Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 5:57 PM
1 mom liked this
I would say the knowledge of benefits available. There is SO much out there from store discounts to help starting a business.
The VA gives out a book but when you are going through the process of getting out its hard to keep tabs on all of it...
jas_momof2
by アニメの雌犬 on Jun. 17, 2013 at 6:05 PM

That's why they offer transition classes that go over a majority of those things...  The Af has an Airman and family readiness center.  Other branches have the same office only it's called something different...  But the idea is the same. Everything you have mentioned can be easily found through them.  In fact, my dh is taking a 2 day class on starting your own business that they are holding...

Op - quite honestly, I don't know.  How much is the grant?

Quoting KimmyShaw:

I would say the knowledge of benefits available. There is SO much out there from store discounts to help starting a business.
The VA gives out a book but when you are going through the process of getting out its hard to keep tabs on all of it...

JeremysMom
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 6:06 PM

There are several grants that we will be applying for. They range from a few hundred to a few thousand.

Quoting jas_momof2:

That's why they offer transition classes that go over a majority of those things...  The Af has an Airman and family readiness center.  Other branches have the same office only it's called something different...  But the idea is the same. Everything you have mentioned can be easily found through them.  In fact, my dh is taking a 2 day class on starting your own business that they are holding...

Quoting KimmyShaw:

KimmyShaw
by Bronze Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 6:09 PM
1 mom liked this
I got out in 2001 and haven't always lived near a post to go in so that's not always convent for everyone.

Quoting jas_momof2:

Quoting KimmyShaw:

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jun. 17, 2013 at 7:11 PM

Not sure...good luck to you though!

lkane81
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 7:21 PM
1 mom liked this
My dh is a vet and i can think if a couple things. Fixing the house to make it handicap accessable, emotional support animals for ptsd and major depression. Career counseling, benefits awareness (yes all services offer a class for us it was taps class but some could still use more info from veterans service office location to voc rehab.) Family support in how to transition to civilian life or how to help/cope with family members disability. I could go on for days
JeremysMom
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 7:24 PM

Quoting lkane81:

My dh is a vet and i can think if a couple things. Fixing the house to make it handicap accessable, emotional support animals for ptsd and major depression. Career counseling, benefits awareness (yes all services offer a class for us it was taps class but some could still use more info from veterans service office location to voc rehab.) Family support in how to transition to civilian life or how to help/cope with family members disability. I could go on for days

These are great ideas! Thanks!

lkane81
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 8:22 PM
Also i should add that in those classes they only go ovet federal benefits not state and each state is different. Some states have state va benefits on top of federal others only have federal. So that would be worth looking into and getting that info out. I know Wisconsin has benifits on top of federal whereas Michigan doesnt

Quoting JeremysMom:

Quoting lkane81:

These are great ideas! Thanks!

anlei05
by Bronze Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 10:39 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting lkane81:

Also i should add that in those classes they only go ovet federal benefits not state and each state is different. Some states have state va benefits on top of federal others only have federal. So that would be worth looking into and getting that info out. I know Wisconsin has benifits on top of federal whereas Michigan doesnt

Quoting JeremysMom:

Quoting lkane81:

My dh is a vet and i can think if a couple things. Fixing the house to make it handicap accessable, emotional support animals for ptsd and major depression. Career counseling, benefits awareness (yes all services offer a class for us it was taps class but some could still use more info from veterans service office location to voc rehab.) Family support in how to transition to civilian life or how to help/cope with family members disability. I could go on for daysThese are great ideas! Thanks!

This- both of lkane81 replies. Because those transitional classes are only as good as the people giving them. Like she said, they do not touch on everything, they sometimes give outdated info or sometimes they just plain don't know some things. Great suggestions here.

cuchiae
by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 11:59 AM
1 mom liked this

Well acouple years ago a Veteran here in Washingtton State organized a Vet Benefits Day.  He had representatives from the VA, State office of employment Veterans affairs, Support Groups, Service officers from the VFW, Americn Legion,and DAV.  Representatives of various Service Groups I.E, 101 Airborn. reunion support for current and forme soldiers.  Representative who could explain educational opportunites.  They got local newspapers and TV Stations to promote the event for free.  They were able to use the VFW facility for Free.  They had a bouncey house for young children, volleyball for older children and adults. They served Burgers and Hot Dogs for free.  The event was well attended and the need was such that it continued 2 + hours after close,  It was a one stop shop affair.  I know several veterans and soldiers who now receive benefits as a result of this event.  Having something like this is a great way to lend support 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)