Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

I know this policy was revoked a few years ago, but I'm just curious as to what your thoughts are on the subject.  Did your husbands seem to care?  Did they have an opinion?  

by on Jun. 22, 2013 at 2:31 PM
Replies (11-20):
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jun. 22, 2013 at 7:06 PM

Oh I see...thanks:)

Quoting TishHughes:

Sexual harassment and rape something. Hell I forget.

Quoting darbyakeep45:

SHARP?  What is that?  

Quoting 1-Mom2-Veteran:

Oh I have used SHARP on some of the pvts in bct. May rule was.... do as you do, however, if I walk through your bay and I find two females in a bunk.. you better hope your highspeed selves were givin cpr. If not, You picked the wrong time to "play" together and I would unfck what i saw real fast.

TishHughes
by on Jun. 22, 2013 at 7:08 PM
2 moms liked this
The Army's Sexual Harassment/Assault Response and Prevention (SHARP).

I was in the ballpark, lol.

Quoting darbyakeep45:

Oh I see...thanks:)

Quoting TishHughes:

Sexual harassment and rape something. Hell I forget.

Quoting darbyakeep45:

SHARP?  What is that?  

Quoting 1-Mom2-Veteran:

Oh I have used SHARP on some of the pvts in bct. May rule was.... do as you do, however, if I walk through your bay and I find two females in a bunk.. you better hope your highspeed selves were givin cpr. If not, You picked the wrong time to "play" together and I would unfck what i saw real fast.

lwalker270
by Bronze Member on Jun. 23, 2013 at 11:10 AM

Neither I nor my husband care.  In fact, we went to a cookout yesterday to meet the partner of one of the guys from his unit.  There were several SS couples there.  No biggie.

Katkinson
by Kristin on Jun. 23, 2013 at 5:20 PM

Husband is subs, and he and the guys he work with are those nuke guys who everyone referrs to as "special".  I don't know if the sub culture is the same where you guys are, but on my husband's boat, you would be really hard pressed to figure out who is actually gay and who is heterosexual by how they all joke around.   A previous boat of hubby's even had a drag contest underway to see who made the prettiest woman. . . I personally think that's a riot. . . anything to boost morale!!!   I've talked to hubbyabout this specific topic, and he has stated even before the revocation of don't ask don't tell, they all knew who was and who wasn't, and no one really cared.  The only thing different is they wouldn't joke around and "hit on" the guys who were.  Not because they were weirded out, but out of a sort of respect.  It would almost be like sexual harassment if that makes any sense. . .

sahmw2010
by Beth on Jun. 23, 2013 at 6:06 PM
Haha, i have a pic of my hubby and his battle buddy from... Iraq i think, dressed in that cultures woman's clothes. They were sooo pretty :)

Quoting Katkinson:

Husband is subs, and he and the guys he work with are those nuke guys who everyone referrs to as "special".  I don't know if the sub culture is the same where you guys are, but on my husband's boat, you would be really hard pressed to figure out who is actually gay and who is heterosexual by how they all joke around.   A previous boat of hubby's even had a drag contest underway to see who made the prettiest woman. . . I personally think that's a riot. . . anything to boost morale!!!   I've talked to hubbyabout this specific topic, and he has stated even before the revocation of don't ask don't tell, they all knew who was and who wasn't, and no one really cared.  The only thing different is they wouldn't joke around and "hit on" the guys who were.  Not because they were weirded out, but out of a sort of respect.  It would almost be like sexual harassment if that makes any sense. . .

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jun. 23, 2013 at 8:22 PM
1 mom liked this

DH is subs too.  It's very easy to tell which guys are gay and which aren't....that's been his experience at least.  There are only 150 or less on a sub (depending on the kind) so you see the guys regularly...my husband does.  He hasn't experience much of the joking around...at least I don't think so...not sure really though! LOL!  

Quoting Katkinson:

border7305
by on Jun. 23, 2013 at 9:23 PM
I'm not a military Wife, But I am a military mom and a vet. And my son and I both agree that as long as they do their job and don't put it in your face, their personal life is their own. Kim
http://www.cafemom.com/group/107984
SlapItHigh
by Gold Member on Jun. 24, 2013 at 1:17 AM

I liked DADT better than the current situation.

First_One_8_18
by Bronze Member on Jun. 24, 2013 at 7:13 AM
I was so very happy when it got repealed. My best friend is a lesbian and she didn't have to hide who she was anymore.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jun. 24, 2013 at 8:04 AM

I honestly don't care, it's the people who put it all in your face that bother me. My husband and his friend were doing their training and my husband was using a pink pen. Well his friend said something about my husband being gay because of the pink pen. An instructor over heard and brought them to his office. He then told them how he was engaged to a man and went into details about his relationship and how to not joke about people being gay. The guy that made the comment was saying over and over how sorry he was and how he didn't have anything against people being gay. My husband said nothing because he wasn't the one that made the freaking comment. Well this instructor told them to go around to all the classes and tell them what they did and say they supported gays. My husband does not support the gay life style, he doesn't hate gays, but he doesn't agree with it, and he wasn't even the one that made the joke so I don't get why he had to go around with his friend. My husband said he just remained silent while his friend did the talking. That was way over the line for the instructor to do that IMO. He could have just talked to them and sent them on their way. But to push your life style on someone is just wrong, no matter what it is. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)