Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

Cost of Living.....really??

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 52 Replies
1 mom liked this
Have you ever been stationed in one of those places where the cost of living just just doesn't meet the local market? I am in one right now! It is so frustrating. I feel like we can't ever get ahead right now.
Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 23, 2013 at 2:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
vintage-misha
by on Jun. 23, 2013 at 2:31 PM

Yep. It can be frustrating but we wouldn't want o be anywhere else. 

4ever-SJ
by Gold Member on Jun. 23, 2013 at 2:31 PM
I think it's tough all over right now, but I can only imagine how much more of a struggle it can be in more expensive areas.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jas_momof2
by アニメの雌犬 on Jun. 23, 2013 at 2:37 PM

Yes - highly frustrating. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 23, 2013 at 2:38 PM

I didn't mean to post annon, yah we are stationed in Mass right now,  recruiting duty, just outside of boston, crazy exspensive here.  And it stinks.  I have been trying to find a job, but even for the basic things they want a degree, and then to find someone to watch my dd. WOW exspensive.  It is like we make just enough to pay, hell rent here is $1900. Everything seems to be more exspensive here.  Insurance is off the wall, electric is higher....everything even food!! I have never seen such exspensive food!! OMG!!! IDK...I think I just needed a venting moment.  I have never looked for summer to be over so fast just so I can hopefully find a job during school hours.  I don't care if it is target or walmart or something....Just a little extra money!!  Oh well.... I guess I need to get my VA stuff done soon....

FL2AK
by on Jun. 23, 2013 at 3:34 PM
1 mom liked this
Alaska is like that. It was fine when my husband was active duty because of BAH and COLA, but it sucked when my husband left the military and we stayed there. Our last home up there that we moved from 2 years ago was $2000 a month rent, $600 a month for oil and $400 a month electric. Groceries were $1200 a month. The jobs pay really well but the cost of living has started to exceed incomes.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 23, 2013 at 4:13 PM

That is what it is like here, the cost of living here is more than incomes, they even give a cola rate here and it just doesn't cut it.  Oh well....hopefully soon I can figure something out.  Just want summer to be over with already!!! LOL

cocoroo
by Coco on Jun. 23, 2013 at 7:05 PM
1 mom liked this

We are in Wa state and it is pretty expensive.  My dh is on assignment for Germany next year, so that should be interesting especially since we won't be getting his special pays anymore.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 23, 2013 at 7:16 PM

Germany has a cola rate and stuff, I loved it there and would go back in a heartbeat.  Yah we get boston cola rate, which is one of the highest the military offers.  I still think we would be better off it we went back to germany

cocoroo
by Coco on Jun. 23, 2013 at 7:24 PM

I grew join North Jersey and there until I was 22.  I think it might be even more expensive there than Boston, or atleast comparable.  That's why we left.  We couldn't afford living there.  So, I feel your pain.

Quoting Anonymous:

Germany has a cola rate and stuff, I loved it there and would go back in a heartbeat.  Yah we get boston cola rate, which is one of the highest the military offers.  I still think we would be better off it we went back to germany

sahmw2010
by Beth on Jun. 23, 2013 at 7:37 PM

i have no proof, but it seems like the people renting out houses near a post knows how much people get for BAH and will raise the rent to take it all. thats what it seems like from some posts I have been to.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN