Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

Cost of Living.....really??

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
Have you ever been stationed in one of those places where the cost of living just just doesn't meet the local market? I am in one right now! It is so frustrating. I feel like we can't ever get ahead right now.
Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 23, 2013 at 2:11 PM
Replies (21-30):
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jun. 23, 2013 at 8:09 PM
1 mom liked this

Actually, we own a home right outside of an Army base, and we rent it out for market value....that's how we came to determine what the rent would be.  We worked with our realtor to come up with a fair market value, and that worked to our benefit for sure!  We had 6 families want to rent our home within 1 week of it being on the market, and the first family is the one we rented it to.  Actually, the rent we charge is around the BAH of an E4 w/ dependents, but the service member that rented our home is a warrant officer (W-1) and his BAH is several hundred higher than the rent.  We also gave him a $50/month discount on the rent because he signed a 2 year lease.  They have a nice house VERY close to post...he can ride his bike there if he wanted to, and we have some great tenants that love our home...win/win for us:)

Quoting sahmw2010:

i have no proof, but it seems like the people renting out houses near a post knows how much people get for BAH and will raise the rent to take it all. thats what it seems like from some posts I have been to.

fourlittlebees
by on Jun. 23, 2013 at 8:24 PM
1 mom liked this

That's true about the rent here.  Most of the houses seem to target BAH for Major and up.  That would cover rent only, not utilities.   Sucks for the rest of of us! LOL  We are buying now so I guess if we have to rent it out when we leave, we will finally make money on a rental for once!  ;-)     Electric rates are high here as well. The cost of living has just gone up across the board.  I was flipping through my almost 10 year old's baby book and noticed I wrote gas was $1.63 a gallon.  Now it is $3.70.  geeze! lol

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 23, 2013 at 8:31 PM

oh yes, not even mention property tax, they are off the wall....food and everything here is more exspensive, this state is nuts!!!

Quoting cocoroo:

I wouldn't buy there either.  Went their property taxes ridiculously high also?  I know NJ has out of control property taxes.

Quoting Anonymous:

Sometimes buying works.  But I would not dare buy a house here in Mass, especially where the average 3 bedroom house goes for over $300,000.  And this house isn't very big, I do not want to get stuck with that morgage for sure if we were to move. If we were living outside of Campbell again, yah I would buy a house and if we had to move then rent it....

SusanD
by Silver Member on Jun. 23, 2013 at 8:41 PM
It's a lot cheaper if you move out of Boston, and there are plenty towns around Boston with a much lower cost for housing, etc. that's what I would suggest.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 23, 2013 at 8:44 PM

I do live outside of Boston, but we get Boston rate. 

Quoting SusanD:

It's a lot cheaper if you move out of Boston, and there are plenty towns around Boston with a much lower cost for housing, etc. that's what I would suggest.

Allebas
by Member on Jun. 23, 2013 at 8:46 PM

HOLY HELL!!! $1900 just for RENT?? Are you serious???? That is INSANE!!! Glad we don't live in Mass!!! Good luck!! I hope you find a job soon!!

Quoting Anonymous:

I didn't mean to post annon, yah we are stationed in Mass right now,  recruiting duty, just outside of boston, crazy exspensive here.  And it stinks.  I have been trying to find a job, but even for the basic things they want a degree, and then to find someone to watch my dd. WOW exspensive.  It is like we make just enough to pay, hell rent here is $1900. Everything seems to be more exspensive here.  Insurance is off the wall, electric is higher....everything even food!! I have never seen such exspensive food!! OMG!!! IDK...I think I just needed a venting moment.  I have never looked for summer to be over so fast just so I can hopefully find a job during school hours.  I don't care if it is target or walmart or something....Just a little extra money!!  Oh well.... I guess I need to get my VA stuff done soon....

SusanD
by Silver Member on Jun. 23, 2013 at 8:48 PM
Yes because that is his duty station zip, but if he doesn't mind a commute then your actual cost of living goes down considerably. Either way you still get the 2500'ish BAH as well as COLA.

Quoting Anonymous:

I do live outside of Boston, but we get Boston rate. 

Quoting SusanD:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Italiancouture7
by Krystine on Jun. 23, 2013 at 8:50 PM

It's like that here in Tampa. We live on base to help offset costs. We lived off base for the first 9 months while waiting for housing and wow did it cost a lot!! Being 45 minutes from the commissary meant I had to do a lot of local grocery shopping. I buy mostly fresh produce so I go grocery shopping weekly, sometimes more. I love the commissary it saves us sooo much!! Especially being in a major city and the fact we buy a lot of organic. MacDill's commissary has a wonderful organic selection that most commissaries don't. Also we spent over $300 a month in gas just for DH to commute. The areas around base are so expensive you have to live 45 minutes out to live within your BAH, but that's still not possible with what you spend on gas.

That's all worth it to us though, we love living here and wouldn't have it any other way!! The pros definitely outweigh the cons!

.oOMellyOo.
by Silver Member on Jun. 23, 2013 at 8:53 PM

We're in MD and our rent is just as much. And we live pretty far out too,  DH has about a 40 minute commute. 

Quoting Allebas:

HOLY HELL!!! $1900 just for RENT?? Are you serious???? That is INSANE!!! Glad we don't live in Mass!!! Good luck!! I hope you find a job soon!!

Quoting Anonymous:

I didn't mean to post annon, yah we are stationed in Mass right now,  recruiting duty, just outside of boston, crazy exspensive here.  And it stinks.  I have been trying to find a job, but even for the basic things they want a degree, and then to find someone to watch my dd. WOW exspensive.  It is like we make just enough to pay, hell rent here is $1900. Everything seems to be more exspensive here.  Insurance is off the wall, electric is higher....everything even food!! I have never seen such exspensive food!! OMG!!! IDK...I think I just needed a venting moment.  I have never looked for summer to be over so fast just so I can hopefully find a job during school hours.  I don't care if it is target or walmart or something....Just a little extra money!!  Oh well.... I guess I need to get my VA stuff done soon....

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jun. 23, 2013 at 8:55 PM

WOW!!! That is insane!!! WHY does it cost so much to live in MD?????

Quoting .oOMellyOo.:

We're in MD and our rent is just as much. And we live pretty far out too,  DH has about a 40 minute commute. 

Quoting Allebas:

Quoting Anonymous:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN