Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

Cost of Living.....really??

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
Have you ever been stationed in one of those places where the cost of living just just doesn't meet the local market? I am in one right now! It is so frustrating. I feel like we can't ever get ahead right now.
Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 23, 2013 at 2:11 PM
Replies (41-50):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jun. 23, 2013 at 10:06 PM

I was there four years. It was TERRIBLE!

Quoting Anonymous:

Yes, that is another exspensive one!! 

Quoting Anonymous:

Yep, Hawaii. =X

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 23, 2013 at 10:09 PM

I had a friend of mine that was an officer in the Navy go there for his first duty station....He said it was nuts!! Him and his wife ended up living in this tiny third floor apt.  that was more like an attic

Quoting Anonymous:

I was there four years. It was TERRIBLE!

Quoting Anonymous:

Yes, that is another exspensive one!! 

Quoting Anonymous:

Yep, Hawaii. =X

ReadWriteLuv
by Silver Member on Jun. 23, 2013 at 11:06 PM
1 mom liked this

You know what, when I compare it apples to apples the cost of living here in WA actually ends up breaking even to what it does in Oklahoma City, OK. Our gas and food here are way more expensive, but my rent and utilities are way higher per square foot there. I think it all evens out in the end. 

Quoting cocoroo:

We are in Wa state and it is pretty expensive.  My dh is on assignment for Germany next year, so that should be interesting especially since we won't be getting his special pays anymore.

cocoroo
by Coco on Jun. 23, 2013 at 11:32 PM

There are houses in this area that are about that much.  My house is a pretty typical 2200 sq ft house and I could easily rent it for $1600-1700.  My sister rents a house in NJ and pays $2200/month for a 3 berm, 1.5 bath Cape Cod.  $1900 isn't that outrageous.

Quoting Allebas:

HOLY HELL!!! $1900 just for RENT?? Are you serious???? That is INSANE!!! Glad we don't live in Mass!!! Good luck!! I hope you find a job soon!!

Quoting Anonymous:

I didn't mean to post annon, yah we are stationed in Mass right now,  recruiting duty, just outside of boston, crazy exspensive here.  And it stinks.  I have been trying to find a job, but even for the basic things they want a degree, and then to find someone to watch my dd. WOW exspensive.  It is like we make just enough to pay, hell rent here is $1900. Everything seems to be more exspensive here.  Insurance is off the wall, electric is higher....everything even food!! I have never seen such exspensive food!! OMG!!! IDK...I think I just needed a venting moment.  I have never looked for summer to be over so fast just so I can hopefully find a job during school hours.  I don't care if it is target or walmart or something....Just a little extra money!!  Oh well.... I guess I need to get my VA stuff done soon....

cocoroo
by Coco on Jun. 23, 2013 at 11:34 PM

We are about what we were in Savannah here also.  I compare everything to NJ, so everything seems cheap to me, lol.

Quoting ReadWriteLuv:

You know what, when I compare it apples to apples the cost of living here in WA actually ends up breaking even to what it does in Oklahoma City, OK. Our gas and food here are way more expensive, but my rent and utilities are way higher per square foot there. I think it all evens out in the end. 

Quoting cocoroo:

We are in Wa state and it is pretty expensive.  My dh is on assignment for Germany next year, so that should be interesting especially since we won't be getting his special pays anymore.

Allebas
by Member on Jun. 23, 2013 at 11:35 PM

WOW!!! Renting a house for $2200/MONTH??? That is nuts!!!

Quoting cocoroo:

There are houses in this area that are about that much.  My house is a pretty typical 2200 sq ft house and I could easily rent it for $1600-1700.  My sister rents a house in NJ and pays $2200/month for a 3 berm, 1.5 bath Cape Cod.  $1900 isn't that outrageous.

Quoting Allebas:

HOLY HELL!!! $1900 just for RENT?? Are you serious???? That is INSANE!!! Glad we don't live in Mass!!! Good luck!! I hope you find a job soon!!

Quoting Anonymous:

I didn't mean to post annon, yah we are stationed in Mass right now,  recruiting duty, just outside of boston, crazy exspensive here.  And it stinks.  I have been trying to find a job, but even for the basic things they want a degree, and then to find someone to watch my dd. WOW exspensive.  It is like we make just enough to pay, hell rent here is $1900. Everything seems to be more exspensive here.  Insurance is off the wall, electric is higher....everything even food!! I have never seen such exspensive food!! OMG!!! IDK...I think I just needed a venting moment.  I have never looked for summer to be over so fast just so I can hopefully find a job during school hours.  I don't care if it is target or walmart or something....Just a little extra money!!  Oh well.... I guess I need to get my VA stuff done soon....

cocoroo
by Coco on Jun. 23, 2013 at 11:38 PM

It is all about where you are from, what the cost of living is, etc.  It is a matter of perspective.  A $300,000 house in the NE wouldn't get you much, so of course the rent will be higher.  If we were stationed near my family in NJ, we would get $2400/month for BAH.

Quoting Allebas:

WOW!!! Renting a house for $2200/MONTH??? That is nuts!!!

Quoting cocoroo:

Quoting Allebas:

Quoting Anonymous:

SlapItHigh
by Platinum Member on Jun. 24, 2013 at 1:18 AM

Not me but that does sound frustrating.

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jun. 24, 2013 at 6:06 AM

I had no idea you get COLA in Boston...interesting.  We are Navy and got COLA when we lived in Hawaii, but I didn't realize you could get it on the mainland.  Interesting...

Quoting SusanD:

Yes because that is his duty station zip, but if he doesn't mind a commute then your actual cost of living goes down considerably. Either way you still get the 2500'ish BAH as well as COLA.

Quoting Anonymous:

I do live outside of Boston, but we get Boston rate. 

Quoting SusanD:

It's a lot cheaper if you move out of Boston, and there are plenty towns around Boston with a much lower cost for housing, etc. that's what I would suggest.

SusanD
by Silver Member on Jun. 24, 2013 at 6:11 AM
Yep, but it's not much....less than 200.00

Quoting darbyakeep45:

I had no idea you get COLA in Boston...interesting.  We are Navy and got COLA when we lived in Hawaii, but I didn't realize you could get it on the mainland.  Interesting...

Quoting SusanD:

Yes because that is his duty station zip, but if he doesn't mind a commute then your actual cost of living goes down considerably. Either way you still get the 2500'ish BAH as well as COLA.

Quoting Anonymous:

I do live outside of Boston, but we get Boston rate. 

Quoting SusanD:

It's a lot cheaper if you move out of Boston, and there are plenty towns around Boston with a much lower cost for housing, etc. that's what I would suggest.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN