Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

A million questions. (OK maybe just 2)

Posted by   + Show Post

Please look past my ignorance on the subjects, but I just need help. I have no idea what's going on.

I was planning to fly down for when DH arrived back from overseas. I have a window of when he could be arriving, and I talked with a friend/another spouse and she said i could stay with her until DH arrived to save me the cost of staying in a hotel by myself for possibly a few days before DH got there. ...She texted me tonight and said her dad is unexpectedly flying down and staying for the whole MONTH so now I'm going to be at a hotel. Which is fine. It was amazing of her to offer in the first place. Which puts me at staying in a hotel for 2+ weeks while DH and I visit before I fly back up home. So I want to ask...

Wives are NOT allowed to stay in the Geo Bach barracks correct? I'm assuming not...since the whole reason they're in there is because family is elsewhere, so if I'm there, he can't be there. Right? We HAVE to stay in a hotel while I'm visiting?

Also...anyone know of cheap and possibly military discounted websites to get plane tickets? I found militaryairfare.us but I'm very nervous using these types of sites because I've never heard of them let alone used them before. I'm terrified it's going to turn into some sort of scam or something, IDK. 

I'm horribly overwhelmed.

by on Jun. 23, 2013 at 9:40 PM
Replies (11-16):
Mrs.Brugger
by Tiara on Jun. 24, 2013 at 12:21 AM
Oh. He said he'll get some block leave in September.
anlei05
by Bronze Member on Jun. 24, 2013 at 1:04 AM

Have you ever used Hotwire? I've always managed to get some pretty great rates using them. I don't know if you will need a rental car but they're great for that too.

SlapItHigh
by Gold Member on Jun. 24, 2013 at 1:11 AM

I don't know but here is a bump.

NorCalMom09
by Bronze Member on Jun. 24, 2013 at 3:04 AM

Yeah that website is a load of crap. I did a ton of research for the last flight I took and the absolute cheapest is southwest, and they don't charge to check bags.

Quoting chrlstoncharmed:

No, you can't stay in the barracks. He could stay with you at a hotel but that's out of your pocket. Military airfares are a farce. They aren't any cheaper than the lowest rates offered. Do you absolutely have to go? Maybe it would be better to wait until block leave and he could travel home to you.

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jun. 24, 2013 at 6:04 AM

I would see about staying in a hotel on base...cheaper and closer to where he has to be right?  Hugs mama!

1-Mom2-Veteran
by Member on Jun. 24, 2013 at 12:17 PM

Deployment returns can be tricky. please remember bc of opsec a lot of us do not have specific or correct times a unit is landing back in garrison. okay, they usually get changed 3387932847832462385 times until the day the unit boards finally. However, if you are determined to go to where he is there are a few options. One, about the barracks question. he is considered a geographical bachelor from what you described, so no, usually staying in barracks are not permitted. however, have i ever seen it? of course, but do not encourage the risk without proper approval. There is lodging on most military installations. Off post, there are plenty of hotels that also give military discounts. Where ever I go I always bring my ID and ask for a discount. I'm not sure about dependants, but, for active.... luggage fees are waived when flying. Just make sure while you are there with him. ask for discounts at restaurants, etc... to help save money while paying out of pocket for this trip. Enjoy and hope all goes as planned for his arrival.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)