Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

Question about honorable discharge in Navy - Medical

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 8 Replies

Okay, so a good friend of mine was discharged from the Navy 2-3 years ago. A short time after he was discharged and moved home, he went to the doctor and was diagnosed with having flat feet. Well, he was failing the eliptical three times and that's what caused him to be discharged, which is directly contributed to the fact that he has flat feet.

What is the likelihood he would be able to go back into the Navy? Treatment IS available for flat feet and all of this could have been prevented if he was diagnosed while in service.

Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 23, 2013 at 9:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
TonyaLea
by Silver Member on Jun. 23, 2013 at 10:36 PM

I thoguht if you got kicked out for failing PT, that it was an 'other than honorable' discharge.  I asked my DH's opinion and he said that the Navy just did away with PTS (preform to serve), so your friend likely would not have been kicked out if it had happened right now, but there is a lot of competition to get back in right now, so he would likely be screened out if he tried.  He said in a year he might have more of a chance.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 23, 2013 at 10:41 PM

Just repeating what he told me =X. 

Thank you for that information.

Quoting TonyaLea:

I thoguht if you got kicked out for failing PT, that it was an 'other than honorable' discharge.  I asked my DH's opinion and he said that the Navy just did away with PTS (preform to serve), so your friend likely would not have been kicked out if it had happened right now, but there is a lot of competition to get back in right now, so he would likely be screened out if he tried.  He said in a year he might have more of a chance.  

momtimesx4
by Member on Jun. 23, 2013 at 11:36 PM

It all depends on the RE code listed on his DD 214 paperwork, the long form.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 23, 2013 at 11:40 PM

Hmm, okay. 

Quoting momtimesx4:

momtimesx4
by Member on Jun. 23, 2013 at 11:43 PM

Odds are it fell under Honorable but to get back in, the recruiter will need to see his 214 and review his RE code.  And these days, getting back in is difficult.

Quoting Anonymous:

Hmm, okay. 

Quoting momtimesx4:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 23, 2013 at 11:48 PM

Yeah, my husband is Navy. I'm semi familiar with it but I am not familiar with the details of someone getting out due to medical reasons, but shouldn't have been let out in the first place. But they are letting some people back in. I keep hearing that it's hard for people to get back in, but I know of three others who have recently been accepted. So I guess it just varies.

Quoting momtimesx4:

Odds are it fell under Honorable but to get back in, the recruiter will need to see his 214 and review his RE code.  And these days, getting back in is difficult.

Quoting Anonymous:

Hmm, okay. 

Quoting momtimesx4:

SlapItHigh
by Platinum Member on Jun. 24, 2013 at 1:16 AM

That's what I thought too.

Quoting TonyaLea:

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jun. 24, 2013 at 6:10 AM

No idea...but good luck to your friend!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN