Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

moving question

Posted by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 4:22 PM
  • 18 Replies
I know this may sound silly but my question is about fishys. Has anyone transported fish cross country? My boys absolutely love their two beta fish and want them to move with us. Has anyone done this, and have any advice? Thanks.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 4:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TonyaLea
by Silver Member on Jul. 2, 2013 at 4:26 PM

I haven't.  The furthest I have moved fish is about an hour drive.  I would guess betas would be the easiest variety to transport though.  When we did it, we filled a container with a lid with their water all the way to the top so that it wouldn't slosh as not to stress them.

SusanD
by Silver Member on Jul. 2, 2013 at 4:29 PM
1 mom liked this

Ohhh, I honestly don't know. I THINK that it would be possible...just difficult. Here is what I would THINK might work (though I could be wrong and would hate to be responsible for the death of your fishies).....

Get some of those big baggies like the pet stores use....get several of them. Get small bowls for each fish. Get a few gallon jugs of water. Pack the fishies up in 2 baggies with plenty of air. A couple of hours later, stop and fill 2 more baggies, transfer the fish using the little nets. When you stop for the night, put them in the bowls. Do this over and over and over again.... sounds terrible but possible.

Another option.... get a few of the BIG mason jars and poke a bunch of holes in the lids. You can put those in the cup holders so they don't spill. Every so often maybe just open the lids up to let them get plenty of air. Then when you stop for the night, switch them into little fish bowls.

Thats all that I've got....

biancalina20
by New Member on Jul. 2, 2013 at 4:35 PM

Maybe get 2 of those phone or metal cups and them make a lid for them with holes.. sit them in your cup holders ... Thats what I would do. lol. And Make sure the cups or big enough.  I have 4 gold fish.. Im not even sure if we will be taking them with. I also have 2 rabbits which are definitly going with . 

adrianna1043
by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 4:35 PM
LOL and the nightmare begins! I think the mason jars in cup holders sounds like a plan. I told my husband if they don't make it we can always replace them and act like nothing happened! LOL

Quoting SusanD:

Ohhh, I honestly don't know. I THINK that it would be possible...just difficult. Here is what I would THINK might work (though I could be wrong and would hate to be responsible for the death of your fishies).....

Get some of those big baggies like the pet stores use....get several of them. Get small bowls for each fish. Get a few gallon jugs of water. Pack the fishies up in 2 baggies with plenty of air. A couple of hours later, stop and fill 2 more baggies, transfer the fish using the little nets. When you stop for the night, put them in the bowls. Do this over and over and over again.... sounds terrible but possible.

Another option.... get a few of the BIG mason jars and poke a bunch of holes in the lids. You can put those in the cup holders so they don't spill. Every so often maybe just open the lids up to let them get plenty of air. Then when you stop for the night, switch them into little fish bowls.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SusanD
by Silver Member on Jul. 2, 2013 at 4:39 PM

At least fish do not make noise :) When we PCS'd the freaking cat meowed for hours. Then he would stop for a bit and go to sleep. Then I would get into a town and stop at a stop light and he would start again. I tried turning up the radio to drown him out....so he got louder, and louder, and louder. He meowed and meowed and meowed and meowed....

Quoting adrianna1043:

LOL and the nightmare begins! I think the mason jars in cup holders sounds like a plan. I told my husband if they don't make it we can always replace them and act like nothing happened! LOL

Quoting SusanD:

ccmvm
by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 4:42 PM

because they are beta fish i think it would be fine, they are super hardy fish.

adrianna1043
by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 4:52 PM
My dad had a friend that ran an inn in the back wilds of Alaska and his wife and him had a cat that would go into fits outside their window at night. As the story goes it was the off season and the cat went nuts one night the woman stormed outside and the man heard a gunshot, and came out side to see his wife with a shovel and a bag. She shouted go back to bed oO. That just reminded me of that story, not that murdering animals is funny in any way, but damn! LOL

Quoting SusanD:

At least fish do not make noise :) When we PCS'd the freaking cat meowed for hours. Then he would stop for a bit and go to sleep. Then I would get into a town and stop at a stop light and he would start again. I tried turning up the radio to drown him out....so he got louder, and louder, and louder. He meowed and meowed and meowed and meowed....

Quoting adrianna1043:

Quoting SusanD:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SusanD
by Silver Member on Jul. 2, 2013 at 4:54 PM

I contemplated giving the cat some benadryl.

Quoting adrianna1043:

My dad had a friend that ran an inn in the back wilds of Alaska and his wife and him had a cat that would go into fits outside their window at night. As the story goes it was the off season and the cat went nuts one night the woman stormed outside and the man heard a gunshot, and came out side to see his wife with a shovel and a bag. She shouted go back to bed oO. That just reminded me of that story, not that murdering animals is funny in any way, but damn! LOL

Quoting SusanD:

Quoting adrianna1043:

Quoting SusanD:

barrelracer1699
by Chel on Jul. 2, 2013 at 4:54 PM
1 mom liked this

I moved my Beta 6 hrs home across NE. I just kept him in his normal tank but lowered the water level. Kept the lid on and kept him on my passenger floorboard!

asaffell
by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 4:55 PM
1 mom liked this

You're moving?!?!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)