Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

Hagel: 2014 budget cuts could halt accessions, freeze promotions

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

http://www.airforcetimes.com/article/20130710/NEWS05/307100024/Hagel-2014-budget-cuts-could-halt-accessions-freeze-promotions

Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel is warning Congress of “serious adverse effects” from potential cuts in the 2014 Pentagon budget.

In a July 10 letter, Hagel warns of the possibility that “draconian actions” may be needed to reduce personnel costs, including halting all accessions, freezing promotions, canceling all reassignments and terminating any discretionary bonuses.

For civilian workers, he warned of hiring freezes and involuntary reductions in force.

On readiness-related accounts, training and maintenance programs would continue at low levels and “in some cases” be cut even further, and weapons modernization accounts could be cut by 15 percent to 20 percent.

The warning comes in Hagel’s response to questions raised by the Senate Armed Services Committee about how to deal with a situation in which the Obama administration’s 2014 defense budget is $52 billion over the spending caps set in the 2011 Budget Control Act.

The White House and Congress have been planning the 2014 budget as if those caps would be removed, on the assumption that agreement would be reached on revenue, spending and deficit matters.

But such agreement remains elusive. The House, Senate and White House have approved their own separate plans but no negotiations are under way to reach a deal.

Hagel urges Congress to pass a “balanced deficit reduction package” to replace the “deep and arbitrary cuts.”

He said tough budget-cutting measures could be softened if Congress would go along with initiatives to reduce personnel costs. He specifically mentioned proposals to slow growth in military pay, raise health care fees for military retirees and eliminate restrictions that are slowing the rate of personnel reductions in the Army and Marine Corps.

“If Congress does not approve these proposals, even more cuts in combat power, readiness and modernization would be needed to accommodate cuts of $52 billion in fiscal year 2014 and similar cuts in later years,” Hagel says.

Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 11, 2013 at 9:43 AM
Replies (41-48):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 12, 2013 at 8:37 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting kce2013:

My husband is AF and they have to.cross rate lots of.people in his career field right now cause there are too many staffs. They also upped the points in order to advance to tech sergeants. Its kind of a lose/ lose situation. Also they should take away some of the money they use for re-enlistment bonuses to people who makes thousands of dollars, you chose to join the military. My husband doesn't get a bonus and.he has deployed 4 times getting ready for his 5th and he missed the birth of our son. He doesn't whine that he isn't getting a bonus. He just works harder to be recognized. So basically what im saying is our military deserves health care and a bonus and things like that to be pampered a little but people who get ridiculous amounts of money for re enlisting can stand to lose a little.

I think you don't understand the point of a bonus. In the Air Force you don't get a bonus because you work hard, you receive it for retention purposes. They are given in severely undermanned fields because the AF puts a lot of money into training those people and losing them is not worth it (hence why they pay). Those fields are important for a reason. Yes of course they chose to join the military but if you have the opportunity to get out and make six figures why wouldn't you? Especially for your family. That's why they have bonuses, to keep those experienced people from leaving. I don't like it either but it's necessary and I understand it. 

vintage-misha
by on Jul. 12, 2013 at 8:38 AM

This. 

My husband has 10 years left and is in a career field that always has very low promotion numbers. This scares me. On the other hand my husband has built a reputation that would enable him to quickly get a good job in his career field in the civilian sector. However, he loves serving his country and wants to do that without being penalized. 

Besides all that it won't be long till we're in another war we can't afford. We need the active duty members who have deployment experience to lead the way. 

My thoughts anyway. 

Quoting cocoroo:

Does this worry anyone else?  It scares the crap out of me.  My dh is in the Army and it is his plan to retire, but he has another 10 years.  My son is in the Air Force.  My dh is up for promotion to E7 sometime in the next year.  I really want that to happen for him, the money would just be an bonus.  The thought of my son not being able to make rank is sad to me. Our government needs to get their shit together. 

I wouldn't mind paying for our healthcare as long as it isn't astronomical.  I think the military needs to get rid of some people.  I think they should stop with the ridiculous bonuses.  They could do without a pay increase for a bit.  The freeze on promotions is what gets me the most.

kce2013
by on Jul. 12, 2013 at 9:17 AM
I do understand a bonus. What im saying is... that some career fields make alot for a bonus and they don't need an 80,000 dollar re enlistment bonus depending on the job I would say an extra 5-8 thousand a year for each year you re enlist. In the real world most people get a 25 cent raise so people should be greatful for what they get and that they have a job. Im all for a bonus and things like that but sometimes its a little excessive. Do I think some military people get screwed yeah I do.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting kce2013:

My husband is AF and they have to.cross rate lots of.people in his career field right now cause there are too many staffs. They also upped the points in order to advance to tech sergeants. Its kind of a lose/ lose situation. Also they should take away some of the money they use for re-enlistment bonuses to people who makes thousands of dollars, you chose to join the military. My husband doesn't get a bonus and.he has deployed 4 times getting ready for his 5th and he missed the birth of our son. He doesn't whine that he isn't getting a bonus. He just works harder to be recognized. So basically what im saying is our military deserves health care and a bonus and things like that to be pampered a little but people who get ridiculous amounts of money for re enlisting can stand to lose a little.

I think you don't understand the point of a bonus. In the Air Force you don't get a bonus because you work hard, you receive it for retention purposes. They are given in severely undermanned fields because the AF puts a lot of money into training those people and losing them is not worth it (hence why they pay). Those fields are important for a reason. Yes of course they chose to join the military but if you have the opportunity to get out and make six figures why wouldn't you? Especially for your family. That's why they have bonuses, to keep those experienced people from leaving. I don't like it either but it's necessary and I understand it. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 12, 2013 at 9:30 AM

One of our friends gets a $90,000 re up bonus for his career field. That comes out to $66000 after taxes for over  four years. That puts his income at around  $65000 a year. He is able to get a job working for the private sector for $120000 a year but he chooses to stay in even though the bonus clearly doesn't amount to that. He likes his job and appreciates the bonus a lot. Not everyone does and they have people that still get out to go and make that extra. But luckily the bonus works in some cases. If there was no bonus, their career field would be VERY bad off.

Quoting kce2013:

I do understand a bonus. What im saying is... that some career fields make alot for a bonus and they don't need an 80,000 dollar re enlistment bonus depending on the job I would say an extra 5-8 thousand a year for each year you re enlist. In the real world most people get a 25 cent raise so people should be greatful for what they get and that they have a job. Im all for a bonus and things like that but sometimes its a little excessive. Do I think some military people get screwed yeah I do.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting kce2013:

ReadWriteLuv
by Silver Member on Jul. 12, 2013 at 9:36 AM

Do you honestly think they, (anyone in Congress), care? They don't. All deceased soldiers, sailors, airmen, and marines do is give these people something to talk about on their campaign platforms. They don't give a shit. If they gave a shit they'd cut their own pay and benefits. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting ReadWriteLuv:

Meh, ny husband will never make E-7 anyway, he'll retire as a 1st Class. As for the other stuff, I've been expecting Tricare changes for years. 

As for everyone else in the world, I agree with some other posters, why work for any place where you have no chance of advancement. Perhaps that is the master plan though, if you think about it. If people only stay 2,3, or 4 years then the government won't have to pay any in retirement.

And we will have more accidents and a bigger loss of people at war, plus more suicides because you can't keep wanting these people to do all the same work with less money and less people, and less experience. But I guess that didn't occur to our lovely congress when they decided these cuts. What about not paying retirement to people that have been forced out because they abused their power, or not spend 4 billion dollars on useless uniforms, useless buildings, useless ceremonies.
My husband has one year left, he asked to move to another command so we could live in the same house, but instead they moved us! It's dumb.

cocoroo
by Coco on Jul. 12, 2013 at 10:21 AM

My dh already has his sequence number, we are just waiting for his number to come up now. I just hope it happens.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting cocoroo:

Does this worry anyone else?  It scares the crap out of me.  My dh is in the Army and it is his plan to retire, but he has another 10 years.  My son is in the Air Force.  My dh is up for promotion to E7 sometime in the next year.  I really want that to happen for him, the money would just be an bonus.  The thought of my son not being able to make rank is sad to me. Our government needs to get their shit together. 

I wouldn't mind paying for our healthcare as long as it isn't astronomical.  I think the military needs to get rid of some people.  I think they should stop with the ridiculous bonuses.  They could do without a pay increase for a bit.  The freeze on promotions is what gets me the most.

Yes, this very much concerns me. My husband is also up for E-7 next year but with the way things have been going we are very worried. They are trying hard to keep people from advancing it seems.

leemarie5
by on Jul. 12, 2013 at 11:14 PM
Totally agree. And our livea are not the same as those in civilian careers. Whens the last time you heard of mcds, banks, grocery stores making their employees work 7m-18m straight and not being able to come home. Our lives are not the same and so yes, there should be incentives like promotions and pay increases.

I cant stand this administration.

Wanna make cuts, stop spending millions sponsoring xgames and nascar. Stop reinventing the uniform. Cut the amount of moving down. Get rid of the civilan contractors that dont even do their damn job. Get rid of blue angels and the ridiculous sign on bonuses for certain rates.

Quoting jas_momof2:

they haven't been immune...  They have ALWAYS been the first ones to take hits.  But when you sign a contract, you expect them to hold up their end, do you not?  Look at the promises made to vets 20 - 30 years ago and now that they are retired they have been doing nothing but chopping away at what was promised while congress gives themselves another raise.  I'm all for making cuts, but be realistic.  Preventing people from earning promotions?  No pay raises?  Would you work for a company like that?

Quoting FL2AK:

The military cannot be immune to cutbacks that the rest of the country faces.

SlapItHigh
by Platinum Member on Jul. 13, 2013 at 1:41 AM

I'm starting to wonder how anything will get done.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN