Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

Do you want to stay forever?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

We are on our third base currently. DH has been in 9 years. The only reason were on our third is because he's had to retrain twice. The second time he landed on the retrain list because he had just made E-6 .. They had way too many and were already overmanned all around at that point. 

at this point we feel lucky to have been to three different bases. So many people we know never pcs and get stuck. But now I wish we could just stay for the rest of his career lol.. Is that bad? I really love it here and wish the Air Force would allow us to volunteer to stay in place.. I mean why not? It would save them money. Plus in the Air Force PCSing isn't critical to advancing in your career. Half the guys in his shop have been here for 8+ years!! 

Are you at a place where you wish you could just stay? 

Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 16, 2013 at 6:59 PM
Replies (11-20):
Love060708kids
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 9:08 PM

No!  I can't wait until we can leave Fort Bliss.

Wainwright next year :D

TonyaLea
by Silver Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 9:52 PM

Yes!  I think some branches move around a lot more than others.  None of my Navy friends have ever stayed on one place long, nor have we.  We are currently in San Diego and I LOVE it here, our orders are up in a year and DH asked his detailor if he had anything to keep us here, and he said there was nothing.  He found us a spot in a base within the state though, so at least we get to stay in California. :/

ccmvm
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 9:55 PM
Heeeeeeck no. Ready to move! I like a change every couple years.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jul. 17, 2013 at 5:20 AM

We've been in Virginia since 2007, and we love it...definitely staying for sure:)

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 17, 2013 at 9:02 AM

Quoting darbyakeep45:

We've been in Virginia since 2007, and we love it...definitely staying for sure:)

Do they give you the choice to stay ?

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jul. 17, 2013 at 9:10 AM

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting darbyakeep45:

Do they give you the choice to stay ?

My son is category 5 EFMP so we stay here until my husband requests orders otherwise:)  

Molimomma
by Bronze Member on Jul. 17, 2013 at 9:19 AM

We FINALLY got out if NM and are in San Antonio and I LOVE it but we knew when we PCS'd it was only a 4 year move. I'd like to stay here but it is not an option, which is a bummer since DH has 16 years already. I wish we could stay here until he's done. I don't love TX but I do like San Antonio, their homeschool laws, and our house!

Katkinson
by on Jul. 17, 2013 at 4:16 PM

I don't WANT to stay here ( upstate NY) but its better for the kids. They have their established set of friends here and do very well in school.  I just feel that if we have the opportunity to offer the kids stability, then we should do it.  Unfortunately the oppotunity happened here where there are horribly frigid winters, but It'll be worth it. . my daughter ( as an AD dependent) will go to pre-k through senior year all at the same school. 

soonergirl980
by Member on Jul. 17, 2013 at 4:35 PM

DH has been in for almost 12 years and we have been at 4 posts. We have been here 1 year and will be here for 2 more. I would not want to stay here for the next 8 DH wouldn't want to instruct that long.

soonergirl980
by Member on Jul. 17, 2013 at 4:36 PM

We are in VA as well. I like but I wouldn't want to stay here the next 8 years.

Quoting darbyakeep45:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN