Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

Do you want to stay forever?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

We are on our third base currently. DH has been in 9 years. The only reason were on our third is because he's had to retrain twice. The second time he landed on the retrain list because he had just made E-6 .. They had way too many and were already overmanned all around at that point. 

at this point we feel lucky to have been to three different bases. So many people we know never pcs and get stuck. But now I wish we could just stay for the rest of his career lol.. Is that bad? I really love it here and wish the Air Force would allow us to volunteer to stay in place.. I mean why not? It would save them money. Plus in the Air Force PCSing isn't critical to advancing in your career. Half the guys in his shop have been here for 8+ years!! 

Are you at a place where you wish you could just stay? 

Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 16, 2013 at 6:59 PM
Replies (21-27):
CJTC0911
by on Jul. 17, 2013 at 5:19 PM

We're at our 4th duty station in 7 years. DH also reclassed and changed jobs. We really like where we are now and hope to be here at least 4 years if not longer. We wouldn't mind going back to Eglin one day though if he ever decided to become an EOD instructor! Now that our kids are getting a little older, I'd like more stablity in their lives!

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jul. 17, 2013 at 5:21 PM

When we first moved here, we hated it to be honest.  But once we had our son and came to realize all of his medical needs, we soon found out his care was the most important thing to us and the quality of care he receives at NMCP is beyond amazing.  We couldn't ask for anything better, so this place has grown on us:)

Quoting soonergirl980:

We are in VA as well. I like but I wouldn't want to stay here the next 8 years.

Quoting darbyakeep45:

We've been in Virginia since 2007, and we love it...definitely staying for sure:)

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jul. 17, 2013 at 6:16 PM
I wish we could have finished in Hawaii, but the navy disagreed so here we are, third place in 6 years so not to bad.
SierraLynn
by on Jul. 17, 2013 at 6:22 PM
This is our 4th duty station in 6 years. Moving hasn't been a burden on us, even with our kids. We are at Fort Carson now and it is a nice base and area, not something I would choose for myself. I grew up in a desert and hate it. I love humidity and actually have kish greenery around. I wantbto stay put for a little bit since we have moved 3 times in 3 years. But I wouldn't want to stay here indefinite.
VannaMae307
by on Jul. 17, 2013 at 6:34 PM

We are at Fort Hood because we qualified for compassionate reassignment with my medical issues. We love it here, we bought a house and dh is re-enlisting for fort hood. I hope we stay forever and ever, we are the closest base to each family (which is why we did the CR for here) and it would just be happy all around. Fingers crossed, right!

VannaMae307
by on Jul. 17, 2013 at 6:35 PM

Also, we are at our 3rd place in 4 years...Fort Lewis, Fort Bragg, now fort Hood.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Jul. 17, 2013 at 6:44 PM

My DH is in the Army and we've moved 5 times over the past 13 years. We love the area we're currently stationed at so much that we actually bought a house. We plan on renting it out when we PCS, and then move back here when DH retires. DH told me some rumors that the Army was trying to become more like the AF (as far as not moving around as much) to save money. That would suck for a lot of people 'cause there's some pretty crappy bases out there. If I had been stuck at Ft. Polk for 8+ years, I would have divorced DH and moved back home.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN